Distorted light map on simple cylinder static mesh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distorted light map on simple cylinder static mesh

Any quality of light map bake, I get the following results on my cylinder static mesh. It's a 24 sided cylinder, nothing else. UV2 done in max with no overlaps. If you look closely, it has some resemblance of the floor and environment around it. But it's like the calculation for it just goes bonkers. This is using the latest build, Feb 2013

An interesting note is that I loaded up this same mesh in a year old UDK install I still had, and the light bake was fine!

Lighting Only

Detail Lighting

Lit

You can show the light maps by looking in the content browser for your map
    Try increasing the values in baselightmass.ini to improve the quality of the light maps
    You can also set bAllowAdvancedOptions=true to add debugging options to lightmass

Comment

So, I finally found the cause of my issue. I had my lightmap resolution setting for this static mesh at 512. Believe it or not, reducing it to a lower value like 256 fixed it and gave me a proper light bake. It's weird because the lightmap resolution on everything else in my scene is at 512 or higher. But for some particular reason, a perfect cylinder mesh with light map resolution set at 512 will cause this error in UDK

Comment

If you're using emissive textures for lighting then that can cause artifacts like that.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
          If you're using emissive textures for lighting then that can cause artifacts like that.
          I tested on a completely new blank map, just a bsp floor and a cylinder static mesh with no textures applied and it will still cause this distortion when lightmap is set at 512

Comment

Working...
          X