Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skipping Install EULA with -progressonly or custom installer, UDK crashes on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skipping Install EULA with -progressonly or custom installer, UDK crashes on startup

So, basically, if the EULA isn't agreed to in the installer, it crashes the UDK when it starts up. I use this technique to make custom installers or non-installer deploys and can't find a good workaround. If I delete the GUID from the InstallInfo.xml, it runs the first time, displaying the EULA, etc. but the lext launch is a failure, just like before. :/

It's unusually clear what's happening in the log:
    (BTW This doesn't save in the .log I had to capture it with snagit)

Update: Running UnSetup.exe /EULA from the installed UDK app also casuses the crash:
    Code:
    C:\UDK\UDKINSTALL>C:\UDK\UDKINSTALL
    r\Binaries\UnSetup.exe /EULA
    Loaded: C:\UDK\UDKINSTALL\Binaries\UnSetup.Game.xml (xxx)
     ... loaded official UDK install Guid

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to
    an instance of an object.
       at UnSetup.Utils.GetEULAAccepted()
       at UnSetup.Utils.DisplayEULA()
       at UnSetup.Program.Main(String[] Arguments)
    EDIT: This is the UDK 2013-02 BETA2 that's doing this.

You can replace unsetup.exe with a blank exe if you use a custominstaller
    That crash is because or a missing reg entry

Comment

Tom have you found a solution to this? We are currently struggling with this because we messed up the SVN deploy and we are stuck on this second launch crash ._.

Comment

Nothing yet, i haven't tried Zeqzy's suggestion as I don't have a 'blank' exe file to try. Does anybody have one?

Comment

I cannot use that blank exe trick because I'm not trying to make an installer or anything. But I'm pretty sure he just means create a txt. file and name it .exe . If I do that it says it can't run UDK.exe because that one is linked to UnSetup.exe
          We're just gonna start fresh and setup SVN again (sorry that doesn't help you)

Comment

I mean by creating a blank program in visual studio and replacing it with unsetup.exe because inside the function that is causing the crash is a reg check that is performed in an unsafe manor
            Unrealbuildtool is the same for errors like that

Comment

Oh right I didn't expect that. Thanks for the info

Comment

Right even after setting up svn again and running it before doing so the problem still persisted. I just did what you toldme and created that blank.exe file. UDK.exe proceeds to start after you closed the exe (I just created a windows forms app just now really quick to test) Thank you so muchfor this Zeqzy! Also Tom you should check this out. It might be the solution for you aswell

Comment

I tried creating an exe from a .bat and it didn't work. I'll try and create something from VS.
                  Update: I just made a siple exe from VS 2008 and it worked a charm!
                  Thanks for the workaround, Zeqsy this is a REAL life saver!

Comment

I have the same problem here, Tom you say this is a problem from the february release ? What exactly works in older version ? I have try to replace unsetup with a blank exe and I have a crash because the EULA has not being accept...

I realy think the best solution would be to launch the official game installer and then get the install path and copy your own file inside it. I have search a lot about this because I have custom dll. But I can't figure out how get the install dir...

If you have any information about getting the install dir of UnSetup install, or call UnSetup with a parameter that will specify where install, let me know it please =D

For know I have the same EULA problem than you...

Comment

I've had the exact same problem. For some reason the UnSetup.exe that is packaged with UDK Feb 2013 is unable to find the correct EULA file which is what causes the crash. My solution was to use the UnSetup.exe from an older working version of UDK

Comment

To avoid the crash just make a new empty installation and copy the InstallInfo.xml file from there (Binaies/InstallInfo.xml) over into your Binaries folder. Also do not commit that file because it is only usable for you on that pc where you accepted the eula.

Comment

That's a good development trick!
                          Have you tried packagin up an installer and installing on a different machine (Preferably one without any previously installed UDKs)? I've been having trouble, but I messed so much with my install getting it to work it could be something I did.

Comment

It has happened to me before, just reinstall UDK

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Shannon View Post
                              That's a good development trick!
                              Have you tried packagin up an installer and installing on a different machine (Preferably one without any previously installed UDKs)? I've been having trouble, but I messed so much with my install getting it to work it could be something I did.
                              No, I've not tried it but could be nice to verify.

Comment

Working...
                              X