Lightmass: Maps need lighting rebuilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightmass: Maps need lighting rebuilt

I'm getting this error during the "Lightmass Starting" phase. When I click the button to locate the error, it always points at my KillZ in my World Properties for some reason. Tried changing / defaulting that and it didn't work.

I've been having a lot of issues with Lightmass. Most of the time it's a virtual memory error, so I've been trying to side-step that by not doing any of the things Lightmass doesn't like. I made a lot of progress and I have quite a few static meshes in place (a forest of identical trees) but I started getting the "maps need lighting rebuilt" error for apparently no reason.

I copied my map over to a new file to default the World Properties and Lightmass settings, but still got the same error. I suppose it must be related to the amount of static meshes I have in place. I have exactly 179 SpeedTree actors all hand-placed. At one point I was able to build static lighting, and afterward when I went to build Lightmass, it crashed because of virtual memory, but when I rebooted it, it gave me the "maps need lighting rebuilt" once again, even when selectively building lightmass on only one object.

Anyway, I have a few more things to try out, but any help would be appreciated.

Disable Precomputed lighting for your trees and get rid of the pure black shadows you may get afterwards by tweaking the environment colour or through your shader for the trees. And don't forget to have a lightmass importance volume before building lights.

Btw, set your killz to a negative value...something that won't touch the gameplay area. It's just the border that player dies when breached, it has nothing to do with lightmass.

Comment

I know what KillZ is, but the error window was pointing to it as a source of the problem, so that's why I brought it up. Probably bugged out.

Anyway, thanks, that worked out pretty well. I just needed to add a low emissive to my tree materials to get rid of the ugly black shadows where the light didn't hit them.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jacky;30887720]Disable Precomputed lighting for your trees and get rid of the pure black shadows you may get afterwards by tweaking the environment colour or through your shader for the trees. And don't forget to have a lightmass importance volume before building lights.

Having the same issue and im a total noob could you explain how to do this?

Comment

Select your trees(or whatever your object is) then hit F4. Look for an option called Use Precomputed Lighting(or something like that, can't remember the exact phrase) and disable it. It may require you to build lighting again afterwards but it wont take as long this time since it wont bake the light for your trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacky View Post
            Select your trees(or whatever your object is) then hit F4. Look for an option called Use Precomputed Lighting(or something like that, can't remember the exact phrase) and disable it. It may require you to build lighting again afterwards but it wont take as long this time since it wont bake the light for your trees.
            Hmm still not working. I actually removed everything previous to when my light stopped working and it still wont work. I keep getting the message "The light build failed! See the log for more information!" with the following errors. The last two errors ive had since i started building my map but now im getting the lighting one.

Error Test room WorldInfo_3 Maps need lighting rebuilt
            Error <None> <None> Paths need to be rebuilt
            Warning Test room WorldInfo_3 Map should have KillZ set - set this to something sensible so that the player doesn't fall forever

Here is a copy of the log but this is a pretty much another language to me since im still new, sorry for the length.

Log: Log file open, 01/05/13 10:37:32
            Init: WinSock: version 1.1 (2.2), MaxSocks=32767, MaxUdp=65467
            DevConfig: GConfig::Find has loaded file: ..\..\Engine\Config\ConsoleVariables.ini
            Init: Version: 10499
            Init: Epic Internal: 0
            Init: Compiled (64-bit): Dec 5 2012 16:19:36
            Init: Changelist: 1426632
            Init: Command line: editor
            Init: Base directory: C:\UDK\UDK-2012-10\Binaries\Win64\
            [0000.25] Init: Computer: USER-PC
            [0000.25] Init: User: USER
            [0000.25] Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
            [0000.25] Init: High frequency timer resolution =2.474023 MHz
            [0000.25] Init: Memory total: Physical=3.8GB (3GB approx) Pagefile=7.6GB Virtual=8192.0GB
            [0000.25] Log: Steam Client API Disabled!
            [0000.28] Init: WinSock: I am USER-PC (127.0.0.1:0)
            [0000.28] Init: Presizing for 0 objects not considered by GC, pre-allocating 0 bytes.
            [0000.28] Init: Object subsystem initialized
            [0000.32] Log: SystemSettings based on: SystemSettings
            [0000.33] Log: Shader platform (RHI): PC-D3D-SM3
            [0000.48] Log: PhysX GPU Support: DISABLED
            [0000.49] Init: Initializing FaceFX...
            [0000.49] Init: FaceFX 1.7.4 initialized.
            [0003.14] Init: Finished loading startup packages in 2.47 seconds
            [0003.15] Log: 81833 objects as part of root set at end of initial load.
            [0003.15] Log: 0 out of 0 bytes used by permanent object pool.
            [0005.30] Log: Supported Consoles:
            [0005.30] Log: IPhone
            [0005.30] Log: Mac
            [0005.30] Log: PC
            [0005.30] Log: Initializing Engine...
            [0005.42] Log: Encountered missing default brush - spawning new one
            [0005.42] Init: UEngine initialized
            [0005.42] Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
            [0005.42] Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
            [0005.44] Init: Transaction tracking system initialized
            [0005.45] Log: Can't find edit package 'OnlineSubsystemGameSpy'
            [0005.45] Log: Can't find edit package 'OnlineSubsystemLive'
            [0006.13] Init: XAudio2 using 'Speakers (Conexant CX20671 SmartAudio HD)' : 2 channels at 44.1 kHz using 16 bits per sample (channel mask 0x3)
            [0006.15] Init: XAudio2Device initialized.
            [0006.16] Init: Client initialized
            [0006.17] Init: Editor engine initialized
            [0006.28] Log: Initializing Engine Completed
            [0006.28] Log: >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Initial startup: 6.28s <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
            [0006.36] Cmd: MODE MAPEXT=udk
            [0006.51] SourceControl: Source Control disabled in UDKEditorUserSettings.ini. [SourceControl] has Disabled=True
            [0010.13] Cmd: MAP LOAD FILE="..\..\Engine\Content\Maps\Templates\Template _MidDay.umap" TEMPLATE=0
            [0010.38] Log: Encountered missing default brush - spawning new one
            [0010.62] Log: New File, Existing Package (Package Untitled_2, Package template_midday)
            [0010.71] Log: -- Checking Building LODs
            [0010.72] Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
            [0010.72] Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
            [0010.72] Log: Finished looking for orphan Actors (0.006 secs)
            [0010.73] Cmd: MAP CHECKDEP DONTCLEARMESSAGES DONTDOSLOWREFCHECK
            [0010.73] Log: TIMER ALL OF INIT : [10.232741]
            [0018.28] Cmd: MAP LOAD FILE="C:\UDK\UDK-2012-10\UDKGame\Content\Maps\Test room.udk" TEMPLATE=0
            [0018.33] Log: Encountered missing default brush - spawning new one
            [0018.80] Log: -- Checking Building LODs
            [0018.82] Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
            [0018.82] Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
            [0018.82] Log: Finished looking for orphan Actors (0.004 secs)
            [0018.85] Cmd: MAP CHECKDEP DONTCLEARMESSAGES DONTDOSLOWREFCHECK
            [0039.49] Cmd: MODE WIDGETMODECYCLE
            [0041.17] Cmd: MODE WIDGETMODECYCLE
            [0058.62] Log: LIGHTMASS: Quality level is 0
            [0058.66] Log: Deterministic lighting is ENABLED
            [0058.66] Log: Lighting will be slower to complete...
            [0061.58] Log: Running Lightmass w/ Deterministic Lighting ENABLED
            [0061.58] Log: Running Lightmass w/ ImmediateImport mode ENABLED
            [0061.58] Log: Running Lightmass w/ ImmediateProcess mode ENABLED
            [0061.58] Log: Running Lightmass w/ Sorting mode ENABLED
            [0061.58] Log: Running Lightmass w/ Mapping paddings ENABLED
            [0061.58] Log: Running Lightmass w/ Mapping debug paddings DISABLED
            [0061.60] Log: Swarm launching: ..\Win64\UnrealLightmass.exe A3FE33DD4E4A6917E21949B48A45C1EE
            [0061.62] Log: LIGHTMASS: Writing scene settings: Quality level 0 (0 in INI)
            [0061.62] Log: FLightmassExporter::WriteSceneSettings: No DominantDirectionalLight was found, EnvironmentLightTerminatorAngleFactor is set to a default one.
            [0061.78] Log: Swarm will be allowed to distribute this job
            [0062.64] Log: *** CRITICAL ERROR! Machine: USER-PC
            [0062.64] Log: *** CRITICAL ERROR! Logfile: UnrealLightmass_USER-PC_50E8FCB847D07731A75A9C8E366BF273.log
            [0062.64] Log: *** CRITICAL ERROR! Crash report:
            [0062.69] Log: Job has failed! Job executable didn't exit cleanly. Exit code: 1

I have rebuilt my lights several times but i keep getting this error. I can open a new map and i can build a light just fine but for some reason its this map. Its a very simple map that i just started building so its not like it to complex to handle. I was able to do lighting for a while but for some reason all my static meshes were solid black. Then my pc crashed (thankfully after i saved) and when i booted it back up my static meshes were ok but my light would no longer work. I can use a Dominant directional light and it build that but due to obvious reasons i get really bad shadows. I even tried adding lights after that to get rid of the shadows but it wont build it unless its a directional. I can however built light when i uncheck use lightmass but then i no longer have light coming into my building like it does when i build it with lighmass. I do have a lightmassimportant volume box and ive tried it without and they both yeild the same results. Before i deleted everything previous i tried unchecking that box and it didnt seem to work. i can win for losing. Im running windows 64 bit with the latest version of udk so if you (or andyone reading this) can figure out what going wrong here it would be very much appreciated.

Comment

Killz is not important here, u have to put light mass importance volume

Comment

Working...
              X