Import failed FBX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Import failed FBX

Hello guys im having a problem with skeletal meshes i rigged a model with 2 skeletons one biped and one with pure bones and made my controls etc etc
    but when im trying to import the fbx into udk always gives me import failed ! i cant get imported in udk whatever i do i tried export it with 3ds max 2010 2011 and 2013 with fbx 2012 plugin i dont know what to do ! i used the settings from UDN for correct export from max but nothing !still import failed i downloaded the may udk but still same problems im currently using march build!Please help me becuase i want to continue with scripting the animations and stuff !

Does this issue only occur with this mesh, or are you unable to import any Skeletal meshes into UDK? If you haven't tested other SK meshes, I would first create a simple test SK mesh, (box skinned to a bone) and go through the export/import steps.

Comment

I got an issue with this as well. It happens when I try to import a FBX with animation, it works if I export the animation with the mesh, however, if I just export the bones with animation, I get the import failed error no matter what I do.

Shouldn't you be able to export and import animation sets without any mesh? Because haven't to delete the mesh for each animation set is annoying.
      I'm using 3DS Max 2012 and UDKInstall-2012-07-BETA2

Comment

Yes you should be able to export out just the skeleton with animations.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXAn...s from 3D Apps

Comment

Yeah, I manage to do that, the problem is that you are forced to export each part of the animation one by one, instead of batch exporting them. I'm looking into some maxscript, might be about to get something going there.

Comment

McGreed, would love to hear about your progress on that.

I use FBX for all my static mesh IO, but still rely on good old Actorx for Skeletal Meshes.. I havent had a single issue bringing in my characters and animations using ActorX.

Meanwhile on the FBX character front: in my workflow, exporting out each animation individually is not only a long process initially, if i go back and make a change to a rig that has 40 animations (and its happened a few times).. now i get to go back and re export EVERY SINGLE ONE of them.. again.

The interesting part in all this, is that it being FBX, and .fbx being the extension for Filmbox initially (Trivia points!), and Filmbox became Motionbuilder, I would have thought that there would be support for Clips.. and THERE IS! but only in Motionbuilder. seems odd that Epic/Autodesk would choose this format and ditch ActorX, when Clip support only works in Motionbuilder.

Comment

Sorry to say, but at the moment 3DS Max can only export to FBX can only export one animation.

What you have to do, is to first export the model and bones without any animation. Afterwards, only export the bones (I don't actually know if you need to export the model if you have skin on it, could use info about that) and one animation at the time in the trackbar (delete the rest, or else it will export all in the trackbar). I tried to fake it by using Time Configuration, however it seem the exporter ignores it and sees all.

I'm actually looking into creating a maxscript, which can cut up your animation and batch export them all. I haven't really done much animation, so I'm not sure if I can get it all to work (had some issues with another maxscript I worked on), but I'll looking into it, because I think it could help a lot with exporting animation. It might be integrated into another UDK script, which was originally made for Maya, that is already out there for exporting, but its kinda lacking.

But you are right, I cannot understand why this hasn't been integrated in 3DS Max.

Comment

Working...
              X