2 MAJOR iOS Lighting Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Sorry to show up late to the party here, but I'm reasonably certain that the DevOptions aren't intended to be played with, hence.. DevOptions Also, Dominant lighting doesn't work in any mobile build I've ever seen, I've always assumed it's nonfunctional on mobile.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Gray, if you look at the images in my post above, even if the environment lighting was overriding the direct, it would still be a warm color (since it is an orange-ish color along with the direct light).
    I have compensated for it in my project by making my direct light a blue color...which, oddly, creates a nice warm direct light
    weird huh?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Maybe there's some default settings on it that causes it. I know the template maps have a lot of custom settings that may cause problems if you aren't aware of them.

If you haven't already, make sure that there's not a lot of environment lighting in the world properties that overrides the lighting's color.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Finished with production and still can't get the issue on my other level. I don't know what's different about that level that it doesn't have the issue, but the default level has the issue.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Darth, I modify the DefaultLightmass.ini like this:

[DevOptions.StaticLighting]
    bAllowLightmapCompression=True

[DevOptions.StaticShadows]
    bAllowSignedDistanceFieldShadows=True

btw, i like baking with LightmapCompression set to False (it's true in the above cut-n-paste from troubleshooting)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, I got the bug to work

I just did a test though with a real scene (all static meshes) and with preview lighting I'm not getting the issue. I'll test production and see what happens

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm using the October build.
    Notice, in the mobile previewer, that the shadows are so cool (blue) and blown out instead of what they are supposed to look like (warm and soft). With "emulate mobile features" on, the lighting is way more similar to what it is supposed to look like (though lower quality). Obviously, I can't deliver a PC and iOS app with such a disparity in lighting...
    First image, in editor, no post effects, baked lighting.

Second image, in mobile previewer, same everything...I just hit the mobile previewer button.

Third image, in editor with "emulate mobile features" selected.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    November 2011

Did I modify the correct config files?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Tested here, I'm getting the same issues so it's not just you.

Darth: Did you rebuild lighting before testing?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What build of the UDK are you running?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, I can only work with the information you give. Turning down advice isn't terribly constructive either.

In any case, I've tested myself and I'm not getting the issue you're having. I've set both of those settings to False in the BaseLightmass.ini and UDKLightmass.ini files and it still looks fine. Even tested on an iPad and I'm not getting those issues.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Darth> We actually discovered the BUG in our production maps and have traced it back to this issue (as I stated in my first post). We have done a good deal of work on our end to prove this is a verifiable bug. Unless you have a scene or SOME evidence other than conjecture that this *isn't* a bug, I don't think any of this is terribly constructive and serves as a distraction to the issue at hand.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah, the fact that the shadow isn't coming up as green proves it's not inverted. My points are that perhaps it might be something wrong with that map rather than some type of bug. Testing with a different scene would show whether it's a bug or not.

Originally posted by Tearl View Post
    Not sure what you are not seeing Darth. In the editor, the shadow is red. In the mobile previewer, it is blue. All without any changes. That is a HUGE discrepancy.
    One would expect to see at least some result that is vaguely similar between the 2 view ports...not something that is FAR from similar. This is a problem.
    What are you arguing against? I never said anything about not seeing a problem, since obviously there is one?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
    It's not inverted, the opposite of blue is yellow, not red. If it were inverted it would have a bunch of other issues.

And I didn't say it wouldn't run on mobile, but that it wouldn't look the same, for instance notice the sky is completely different.

To me, it looks like there's some type of color modification going on, but I wouldn't know what's specifically causing it.

In the other case where there's no direct lighting, I'd suggest just not using that setting.
    Well, it's HUGELY different than intended or displayed in PC preview or Mobile preview, so whether it's inverted or color shifted is irrelevant, it's simply wrong, not even close. Maybe I wasn't clear enough above. I'm not saying that the entire frame buffer is inverted, but the LIGHT-MAP is inverted/color shifted. (The .ini settings are the biggest clue that it's light-map based as is evidence like this.

Who cares about the sky map? We're talking light-map color. The map works exactly as expected on the device and clearly demonstrates the issue isn't editor-bound.

PS the opposite of red is actually green :P

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oops, double post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X