Newbie Question - Character shadows drawn as large rectangles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    FYI for Devs: My video card is a Radeon 5770 with the newest AMD drivers for it. I'm running Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Alright. I finally downloaded the October edition and tried UDK Game without changing any settings. The shadows worked perfectly, so the problem is apparently in my settings changes. I'll just need to play around with them to figure out where the problem is.

UPDATE: The rectangular shadows turned out to be caused by Hardware Shadow Filtering. Once I turned that off, the shadows worked perfectly. I'll research this further.

UPDATE 2: For some reason, I can't find much info online about "hardware shadow filtering." What I did find led me to believe that filtering is a reference to Anti Aliasing. If so, then I can see why it didn't work since Unreal 3 can't handle AA very well, at least for me. On my system, AA always slows down Unreal and even causes menu screen errors in UDK Game. Post Processing AA always works flawlessly, although less effectively. Anyway, I hope this puts my issue to rest.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Actually, I've already uploaded a video to YouTube for various testing reasons. You can see this problem best about 1/4 through it when an enemy enters into the sunlight. Link to YouTube video.

If anyone has already experienced this bug/problem, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    try deleting UDKEngine.ini (keep a backup if you want) which will make the game create a new one with the default values at the next launch. Also try running it in DX9 mode. this way you'll be running it with the default settings and so you'll be able to tell if it's the game itself or some faulty drivers that's causing the issue (instead of some setting you changed, or a bug with DX11)
    also pics usually help

Leave a comment:

• Newbie Question - Character shadows drawn as large rectangles

I'm just getting started with UDK. I've been playing around with it to try to learn what I can about it. I've noticed a problem when running the example maps that are remakes of old Unreal Tournament maps that come with UDK (DMDeck and VCTFNecropolis). As the robot characters run around, they cast shadows that are just simple, large rectangles instead of the detailed character shadows that I'm supposed to see on the ground. I have adjusted the UDKEngine.ini file for good quality, so I thought that one of my adjustments to the settings may have caused this problem. I went through all of the settings that seem to be related to shadows and haven't found any that fix this weird problem. Could it be an inherent design flaw in those maps or is it an error on my end? If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate a reply.

FYI: I have turned on DX11 for UDKGame using the run command and I'm using a DX11 graphics card (Radeon HD 5770).
Working...
X