Installation Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installation Problem

I have a Windows vista (64-bit), and every time I try to install the september 2011 BETA of UDK I get an error message that says I need at least windows XP service pack 3 to run the installer.

Please Help!!!

I have the same problem -- xp x64 too. As far as I know, there is no service pack 3 foe xp x64.

Is it trying to install the 32 bit version of UDK by mistake?

The minimum requirements still show winXP service pack 2 on the download page.

Comment

I had the same problem on Windows 7 64-bit. My solution was to right-click, select "Troubleshoot compatibility", select "Troubleshoot program" in the window that appears, check "The program worked in earlier version of Windows but won't install or run now" and hit Next, then select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" and hit Next. In the next part that appears, click "Start the program..." and it will pop up and proceed with the installation process.

The version installed for me ended up 64-bit.

Comment

I found my problem, Apparently I was running it in xp service pack 2 compatibility mode, but that only showed up when i actually went under the "compatibility settings for all users" under the properties file. Hopes that helps other people out!

Comment

I don't seem to have the option to change from Windows XP (except downward, like ME or 98.) I'm using winXP x64 as administrator.

Does anyone know any way to get out of the "xp service pack 2 compatibility" mode?

Comment

Originally posted by jafTwo View Post
            I don't seem to have the option to change from Windows XP (except downward, like ME or 98.) I'm using winXP x64 as administrator.

Does anyone know any way to get out of the "xp service pack 2 compatibility" mode?
            I doubt you can. Windows XP 64-bit isn't truly Windows XP. It is actually based off Windows Server 2003 with some modifications that make it look and act roughly similar. I've tried looking into it in the past and a search just now also turned up no real results except other people asking about SP3.

Comment

So I guess there must be something in winXP x32 SP3 that the UDK now needs? Is there a way to force a x32 install of UDK on a x64 system?

Comment

Hi guys, just wanted to give an update that the UDK minimum specs have indeed been updated to Windows XP SP3. We did upgrade to .NET 4 which is the reason for the minimum spec change. For those users that use Windows XP 64bit, since there is no actual SP3, you can make a shortcut of the UDKinstaller. Then right click, and select Properties. At the end of the .exe string add -progressonly. That will skip the installer having to look for SP3. So for example it should look like:

C:\Users\XXXXX\Downloads\UDKInstall-2011-09-BETA.exe -progressonly

You will need to manually reboot after .NET4 finishes installing.

Comment

We're also having this problem.
                  Seems trivial to add a check in the installer for XP 64 and drop the requirement, ya? Asking out clients/customers to do this is a bit out of the ordinary.
                  Also, you might want to update the System Requirements page when system requirements change:
                  http://www.udk.com/readme
                  Minimum:

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
                  2.0+ GHz processor
                  2 GB system RAM
                  SM3-compatible video card
                  3 GB free hard drive space

Oh, and maybe mention that somewhere in the upgrade notes? It's a significant change that we would have liked to know about before moving things over.

Comment

Did what you said Kernersvillan. The install went ok, but the app crashed at the loading screen.

Comment

Tom Shannon, the min specs on http://www.udk.com/download have been updated to XP SP3 which unfortunately XP64 does not have. There is no good/easy way to get around that, and we do apologize. Please feel free to use the August 2011 UDK or any builds previous to that if you would like to use UDK on XP 64bit.

Comment

Originally posted by kernersvillan View Post
                        Hi guys, just wanted to give an update that the UDK minimum specs have indeed been updated to Windows XP SP3. We did upgrade to .NET 4 which is the reason for the minimum spec change. For those users that use Windows XP 64bit, since there is no actual SP3, you can make a shortcut of the UDKinstaller. Then right click, and select Properties. At the end of the .exe string add -progressonly. That will skip the installer having to look for SP3. So for example it should look like:

C:\Users\XXXXX\Downloads\UDKInstall-2011-09-BETA.exe -progressonly

You will need to manually reboot after .NET4 finishes installing.
                        Thanks -- that worked for me on the October distribution.

Comment

BTW,
                          http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UE3MinSpecs.html
                          Isn't updated with the new min spec either.

Comment

I have looked at most of this thread and tried the solutions mentioned but still can't get the newer verison of UDK to run past the splash screen. Last working version I have is January 2011. On my desktop is where I am having the problem. Windows 7 64bit. Nividia GTX 550 Ti Driver 285.62, Plenty of memory and HD space. All Beta versions work fine on my laptop so not sure what else to do to get UDK working on my desktop. Is there any way to disable the splash screen and content browser on load up? maybe that will do it.

Attila003

Comment

Progressonly works fine but it installs the stuff on C:\UDK without asking me if I want it like that. Is there another command like -dontinstallonCpls? It's my recoveryimage and it has no space left for udk

Comment

Working...
                              X