Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Substance Integration Help

Hi all,
    I'm creating this thread to gather everything substance related, you can post here your questions, issues, creations or tutorials about the new substance integration.
    I'll monitor the thread and answer all your technical question in a reasonable time frame and will add new tutorials to this post as soon as they are available.
    Also don't hesitat if you feel there is something missing from the doc on UDN.

UDN Substance Page

Tutorials

Substance Utilities in UDK (SU download)
    B2M in UDK
    Substance Designer and UDK

Known issues

Modifying parameters from a substance filter breaks the outputs after saving and restarting UDK.
    The workaround is as follow: Before editing the parameters for the first time after a restart, for each image input, click on the magnifying glass then on the green arrow to re-affect the inputs to the substance.
    A fix is being tested right now and will be released as soon as possible.

Originally posted by Jerc View Post
    Modifying parameters from a substance filter breaks the outputs after saving and restarting UDK.
    Can you clarify this? Does this mean if you change a param in a filter, save the package, then restart UDK something breaks? I'm assuming there's presently no issue with fiddling params in substance instances at run time?

Comment

Yes, when opening UDK again after saving the packages, the links to its image inputs will be broken when you tweak a substance filter. That's why you need to re-link it through the magnifying glas/arrow method. Tweaking a substance at run-time works perfectly fine though.

Comment

How should I export a substance material to udk to be able to change the output size of it inside UDK?

Comment

Originally posted by hasan_udk View Post
          How should I export a substance material to udk to be able to change the output size of it inside UDK?
          You would need to check the "Output Size" box when publishing your substance in Substance Designer.

Comment

Two of the Exposed param (N_blendingmode, Base colorswitch)is missing inside UDK. How can I get it to show up inside UDK?

Comment

Just a quick ping to let you guys know that the whole Substance Database, around 800 substances with their source graphs, is on 80% sale ($799 instead of $3990) on our website for today only!

Hotshot> If you open your substance in the substance Player, can you see these missing params ? If not they are probably not plugged to any node in your graph, that may be the reason why they are not showing up.

Comment

Hotshot, did you manage to make those substance parameters work in the end ?

Comment

Yes! Thank you for the help..

Comment

In this video, at 1:52,
                    "Substance instance graph"
                    is clicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zO4WLJpW-98

When I do the same after importing my published file, I get VERY limited options.
                    This is how it looks in SD
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	sd_UDK1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	3250007

So why don't I get more options in UDK?
                    http://s17.postimg.org/p7a48i08f/sd_UDK2.jpg

double clicking "Steyr_Mat" only brings up the UDK material editor.

Comment

WOW that is an insane substance file dude...

Have you "Exposed" the Parameter before you published the file?

Comment

So today for the first time am trying out Substance in Feb 2013 BETA1 build and the thing i dont understand is it creates this extra group called Untitled. Is there anyway to disable it?

[SHOT]http://forums.epicgames.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12843&d=1376753342[/SHOT]

Comment

I am asking the same?
                          And also do I need to have a Subst for Every texture, or can I reuse the first one that I imported to more then one Texture? If not then it is quit good to have a extra group for every texture.....

Comment

I found that in UED if I set a sub mat instance output size to 2048 from default 256, the package size is dramatically increased comparing to the tiny size just after importing .sbsar file, due to all textures res auto set to 2048. So how can I keep thg game package size small while using high res mat? Should I just use low tex res and publish the game then runtime set res to higher ones?

Comment

ryanjon2040, isn't that the name of your graph in your substance Package ?

Hotshot, you can create multiple instance of the same substance with different parameters and inputs, so you only need to import it once.

ikblazing, The package size is bigger because the textures are stored temporarily as uncompressed bitmaps for the thumbnails like other textures, but these will be flushed when cooking the packages if you choose not to bake the substances.

Comment

Working...
                              X