Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

AnimTree Video Tutorials [Tutorial 9 added!]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnimTree Video Tutorials [Tutorial 9 added!]

I've decided to work on a series of video tutorials related to Animation Trees.
    Currently only the first tutorial is completed, however the others should be up and running fairly soon, I hope.
    The videos have been recorded at 1650x1080 res (hence the size) and XVID wouldn't really have compressed them down any smaller, and I don't have the time (or patience or anything) to compress them much smaller. Apologies for that.
    These tutorials are not designed to show you the workflow of getting characters from Max/Maya into the game - I'm not a modeler or animator so I don't have knowledge of this.

If you guys have any questions, anything you want clarified, discussed further in later tutorials or just general comments, feel free to post them.

If these tutorials are useful to you, please consider donating.

Supplementary Material

Tutorial 1
    Introduction to AnimTrees
    Setting up preview mesh and animset
    Setting up a basic Walk and Idle
    Download Here (53mb)

Tutorial 2 Plan
    Explanation of AnimNotifies, using AnimNotifies to play footsteps.
    Explanation of Sync Groups
    Setting up Sync Groups for Walk animation
    Example of BlendBySpeed instead of BlendByIdle
    Adding Crouching animations
    Download Here (74mb)

Tutorial 3 Plan
    Explaining & Using BlendByPhysics
    Adding Jumping
    Randomizing animations (AnimNodeRandom)
    Download Here (47mb)

Tutorial 4 Plan
    Adding an AimNode
    Explain how AimNodes work
    Adding a basic profile with manual rotation
    Updating profiles from code
    Download Here (43mb)

Tutorial 5 Plan
    Referencing & updating Blends from code
    Explanation & usefulness of BlendByList
    Download Here (44mb)
    Supplementary Material (3kb)

Tutorial 6 Plan
    How to create Custom Nodes
    Creating a new Posture node to support standing, crouching and proning
    Download Here (32mb)
    Supplementary Material (8kb)

Tutorial 7 Plan
    Script hooks for animations - BecomeRelevant, AnimEnd etc
    Download Here (21mb)
    Supplementary Material (15kb)

Tutorial 8 Plan
    Note that the supplementary material has been updated for this tutorial, please re-download from the link at the top of the post
    Adding TopHalfSlot & FullBodySlot
    Playing slot animations through code
    Download Here (27mb)

Tutorial 9
    Explanation of Blending per bone
    Example of reloading via animation tree.
    Download Here (40mb)

Other Things to explain somewhere (time permitting)
    Foot Placement
    Skeletal Control nodes
    How to plan an animation tree(?)

Thanks a lot! I was really needing this.

Comment

Just for reference the video is 43M in .rar format.

@ Wraiyth
      If you don't mind, I am going to put your links up at http://udkc.info/ so that others can benefit when this thread disappears.

Is there any plans to reduce and put to youtube?

Comment

Go ahead, fine by me. The place I'm hosting them is unlikely to be going away any soon (temp domain for a few projects but now become permenant with the number of SVN repos we have)

I had no plans to put it on YouTube, mostly because of horrible upload speeds. Aside from that, the quality would probably end up fairly scratchy, which isnt too helpful for tutorials where you need to see text.

Comment

I will toss it here for your reference (and if you want to self update) : http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tut...e_crash_course

I am watching your tut now and will give feedback, as I just saw this line in your first post.

-- Pros --
          Voice is clear and understandable.
          Visual provides clear overview

-- Cons --
          A little too quickly paced
          - you need to slow down just a bit, so people thinking and following along can keep up.
          Not very advanced - even if you don't want to get technical (as it bogs down) a little more detail as to "Why things happens" aids in understanding

Comment

Good!!!

Very Thank you..

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
              I will toss it here for your reference (and if you want to self update) : http://udkc.info/index.php?title=Tut...e_crash_course

I am watching your tut now and will give feedback, as I just saw this line in your first post.

-- Pros --
              Voice is clear and understandable.
              Visual provides clear overview

-- Cons --
              A little too quickly paced
              - you need to slow down just a bit, so people thinking and following along can keep up.
              Not very advanced - even if you don't want to get technical (as it bogs down) a little more detail as to "Why things happens" aids in understanding
              Thanks for that. I'm a naturally fast talker, which makes it hard. I'll make an effort to slow down the talking for the next one.
              What sort of technical detail specifically were you talking about? This first one was meant to be more of a basic introduction and having something working, with the latter ones going into more complex things.
              Its hard to provide more down-and-dirty details when even Epic's documentation on this stuff is pretty scant. The eventual goal by the end is to have a full animtree built that is something along the lines of the complexity of Epic's human one, so hopefully there'll be more detail down the track.

Comment

A thousand thank you for this. Please keep them coming

Comment

thas really nice of you. This is basically what I was looking for two days ago. I found the response but I gues a lot of people might be in the same position.

Comment

Nice video, keep them coming, this is the stuff people are looking for

Comment

by details just more coverage on things you talk about so that the viewer is left with a understanding on how everything is interacting. It just seemed to me that your flying though and then "this is it, ok it's connected - now we are done" sort of deal - a few parts you give background and objective information, more of that would be great - I think

Comment

Can you put this up on a video streaming service like youtube, blip, or revver please? It would make it way more accessible.

Comment

I may look at putting them up on YouTube, but as I said, they are fairly large as they are high-res, and my internet only uploads at 25kbs, so it would take me a fairly long time to get them anywhere if they aren't compressed.

I've just re-recorded Tutorial 1 with some added detail that I missed first time around. Tutorial 2 is also recorded and should be uploaded within the next few hours. Curse my slow internet. I'll make a post when both tutorials are uploaded.

EDIT: Tutorial 1 is re-upped. Tutorial 2 is on its way up, and Tutorial 3 will follow shortly.

Comment

Tutorials 2 and 3 are now up. Keep an eye out for 4-6 in the next few days

Comment

Our internet plans suck, don't they? I wish I could watch your tutorials, but I'm currently capped. So it's probably my top priority to watch when it comes back.

Comment

Working...
                              X