Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

[Tutorial] Third Person Game with GOW camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LePasi View Post
    Got it ! Works fine !!
    If you still can't get this to work:

In the UDK Editor go to View > World Properties > Game Type.
    And here make sure you choose "YourGameInfo" under Default Game Type. Otherwise it won't use my "YourGameInfo.uc" ....

Does anyone know why ?

Pasi

I can't find "YourGameInfo" in default game type.
    I followed the tutorial forwards and backwards
    Is there something I need to check?

Comment

• great tutorial thanks man

Comment

• Originally posted by pdcsky View Post
        I can't find "YourGameInfo" in default game type.
        I followed the tutorial forwards and backwards
        Is there something I need to check?
        did you go into the defaultgame.ini and change the game type and game server to your game info etc...

You'll need to go in to UDKGame\config and edit DefaultEngine.ini, and DefaultGameUDK.ini (make sure to turn of read-only on these files. In DefaultEngine.ini you'll need to edit:

Code:
        Lines 6, 7 and 8,
        Map=UTFrontEnd.udk
        LocalMap=UTFrontEnd.udk
        TransitionMap=EnvyEntry.udk
        Change the value of the first two entries to the map you'd like to start on,
        and if you like, change the third entry to your own custom loading screen map.

Add: +EditPackages=YourGame under [UnrealEd.EditorEngine] on line 15
        In DefaultGameUDK.ini you'll need to edit:

Code:
        Lines 5, 6 and 7,
        DefaultGame=UTGame.UTDeathmatch
        DefaultServerGame=UTGame.UTDeathmatch
        PlayerControllerClassName=UTGame.UTPlayerControlle r
        Change the first two entries to YourGame.YourGameInfo, and the third entry to YourGame.YourGamePlayerController.
        Now for a couple of notes: First off, please note that this ini editing is quite basic and does not change any behavior related to how UDK builds packages, or includes packages when you "make" the game from the front end. For more advanced ini editing please check out tutorials such as The Ball for more information. Second, for your custom maps and content you'll need to create a folder "YourGame" under UDKGame\Content.

Comment

• Hello everybody as regards to making a gun work with this camera system it seems to be very challenging even with creating a custom weapon still no joy. But I have a feeling its because of 3 classes!!!

As you can see he picks it up then it vanishes!

I think it has something to do with the

[YOURGAME]PlayerController class extending from GamePlayerController,
          Example:
          Code:
          class RhonePlayerController extends GamePlayerController;
          [YOUR]Pawn class extending from the GamePawn
          Example:
          Code:
          class RhonePawn extends GamePawn;
          [YOURGAME]GameInfo class extending from GameInfo.
          Example:
          Code:
          class RhoneGameInfo extends GameInfo;
          Now if I extend them from UTPlayerController and UTPawn I can start with a gun, pick up guns and use them and switch between weapons. BUT I lose all the functionality of the custom camera by changing these settings, it just goes back to the basic 'FPS'. So maybe something needs to be changed or added to the DefaultEngine.ini. e.g. [RhoneGame.RhoneGame] with some settings?? this has really stumped me but I know im getting closer.

Also David Voyles suggested adding
          Code:
          defaultproperties
          {
           bCanPickupInventory=True
          But if anybody knows a solution to this plese help, it will greatly appreciated then we can share the solution with all so future inspiring game devs wont have to go through what we do lol.

P.S I have already added the info:

+EditPackages=YourGame under [UnrealEd.EditorEngine]

&

DefaultGame=UTGame.UTDeathmatch
          DefaultServerGame=UTGame.UTDeathmatch
          PlayerControllerClassName=UTGame.UTPlayerController

and changed the values to suit my game.

================================================== ========================

Comment

• After playing about changes the classes the my game classes extend to, I think I may of found the bug why we cannot use a weapon with this camera code!

When changing

Code:
            class RhonePlayerController extends GamePlayerController;
            TO

Code:
            class RhonePlayerController extends UTPlayerController;

As you can see the pawn picks up the gun (to the little mesh its not visible, to the big hidden mesh behind, which im assuming is the real pawn it is visible). So my conclusion is that this is the bug now I just got to find a way of fixing it!

Comment

• PROBLEM SOLVED, for anybody wanted to add a gun to their player I suggest following this brilliant extension to this tutorial works perfectly

TUTORIAL CAN BE FOUND HERE: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...rial-extension

AS you can see in the video its now working

Comment

• I only have one small error now and that is when I run my level from the batch file it starts in the basic fps mode its not picking up my game info code! hmmm any suggestions??

Oh and I forgot to mention that yes I have used GameInfo in the editor and the config files

Comment

• Originally posted by GunnerJnr View Post
                  I only have one small error now and that is when I run my level from the batch file it starts in the basic fps mode its not picking up my game info code! hmmm any suggestions??

Oh and I forgot to mention that yes I have used GameInfo in the editor and the config files
                  Solved it just need to add this to GameInfo class for anybody else who has this trouble

WOW took a while but i found the fix to get it running in the batch file. Just needed to add this to the GameInfo class.

Code:
                  static event class<GameInfo> SetGameType(string MapName, string Options, string Portal)
                  {
                  	return class'RhoneGame.RhoneGameInfo';
                  }

Comment

• W0w who knew such an old post could be so helpful

thanks alot!! helped me create my own cam.... but i'm still having problems with how to rotate the pawn when in free cam...

any suggestions on what could help me?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperMeatBoyInc View Post
                      W0w who knew such an old post could be so helpful

thanks alot!! helped me create my own cam.... but i'm still having problems with how to rotate the pawn when in free cam...

any suggestions on what could help me?
                      Use the w,a,s,d keys to move the pawn whilst using the mouse to move the camera, scroll camera in any direction as far in or out as you want with mouse scroll wheel and use right mouse click or shift for shoulder style zoom, also f key for playing dead and r key for shooting alternate weapon style.

Also why im here I have edited my camera a bit to be a fixed over shoulder cam but im now having trouble implemented the zoom, can any body help with this I want it so when I zoom it gives me a kind of fps style zoom like the player is looking down the barrel. code can be found here

HELP-Please-On-Implementing-a-shoulder-style-GOW-zoom!

Comment

• Worked, but i have 2 questions: My pawn does't have sound.

and a have this error:

:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\YourGame\Classes\YourGamePawn.u c(12) : Warning, Unknown property in defaults: LightShadowMode=LightShadow_ModulateBetter (looked in DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent)
                        C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\YourGame\Classes\YourGamePawn.u c(13) : Warning, Unknown property in defaults: ShadowFilterQuality=SFQ_High (looked in DynamicLightEnvironmentComponent)
                        Warning, Can't find files matching C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Binaries\Win32\..\..\Development\Src\Utactionpa wn\Classes\*.uc
                        Success - 0 error(s), 3 warning(s)
                        Execution of commandlet took: 7.82 seconds
                        [mai 27, 12:25 ] COMMANDLET 'UDK.exe make -full' SUCCEEDED

Comment

• im trying to make it so when you scroll down it will change third person to shoulder or vicaversa
                          i have it good except i dont know what if to use to check the camera mode
                          i tried
                          if (CameraStyle == 'ShoulderCam')
                          but that doesnt work

Comment

• im trying to make it so when you scroll down it will change third person to shoulder or vicaversa
                            i have it good except i dont know what if to use to check the camera mode
                            i tried
                            if (CameraStyle == 'ShoulderCam')
                            but that doesnt work

Comment

• I'm REALLY hoping that someone can help me.

Using this script, I made this YouTube video explaining the issue I'm having with objects attaching to my character when I start a server game. The attachment is programmed within Kismet. Also, all Kismet related player input commands are being ignored as well. All I can do is move the player around and jump. Even the sounds are gone.

Anyone have any idea why this would be? Does it have something to do with the game type not being set to UTDeathmatch or what? None of these classes reference UT code it appears, so I was thinking that maybe that had something to do with it.

HELP!!!

Thanks,

-David Breen

Comment

• I followed the tutorial, part by part, and this error keeps on showing after I launch UDK Editor

C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\FogVolumeSpheric alDensityInfo.uc(28) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\WindPointSource. uc(22) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\LensFlareSource. uc(225) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\PointLight.uc(41 ) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\PointLight.uc(45 ) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\SpotLight.uc(42) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                C:\UDK\UDK-2013-02\Development\Src\Engine\Classes\SpotLight.uc(58) : Error, BEGIN OBJECT: Can't create subobject as Class DrawLightRadiusComponent hasn't been compiled yet.
                                I need help on this

Comment

Working...
                                X