TRACE node in Kismet needs descriptions/info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRACE node in Kismet needs descriptions/info

Can anyone tell me how to use the trace node in kismet - (EDIT: As there is no info on the UDN or elsewhere - awaiting a description)

I want to do a raytrace from an emitter (laser beam) positioned within the world and cast it out along the x axis by 1024units - then see if it hits anything, I will then use a DELAY node to fire the trace off again (every 0.1sec) to detect what it hits. I will then make the BEAM particle use the distance to determine it's length along the x axis.

Please help

Many thanks

Start: Any Actor this will use the Location of the actor as the Start XYZ of Ray
    End: Any Actor this will use the Location of the actor as the End XYZ of Ray
    HitObject: The World or Actor Hit (*See Below)
    Distance: The distance form the Ray Start to the World/Actor Hit Location
    HitLoc: The XYZ of the World/Actor Hit Location

Not Obstructed: Output when ray hits nothing
    Obstructed: Output when ray hits something

*NOTE: Trace only works on world actors that have collsion volume and actors like the players and movers.

Example 1: Using the actors World Postions

[shot]http://www.bitSlap.me/TracePost3.png[/shot]

[shot]http://www.bitSlap.me/TracePost2.png[/shot]

Example2: Setting the actors World Postions before cast

[shot]http://www.bitSlap.me/TracePost1.png[/shot]

Hope that helps!
    Omega

Comment

Omega - MASSIVE thanks mate - I don't think i've ever had that much of a direct and helpful response, Thank you - your name shall be written forever in the credits of our game/mod

I'll post up a full tutorial on the gameplay mechanic that i'm prototyping here when i'm done, as a few people are currently wondering how to get a laser (beam) particle effect to hit objects that intersect the beam.

J

Comment

Oooh - BTW - do you know if you can set the 'End' position to an offset axis of the 'Start' object? i.e. 1024 units along the x axis (of the object)? Reason being that if the start object rotates or moves, I need the end to change position also (fixed to the objects x axis). Can this be done, or does there always need to be an 'End' object?

J

Comment

Attach the end object to the start object and it will move and rotate with the start object, effectively giving you exactly what you proposed.

Comment

CoolCool no problem,

[shot]http://www.bitSlap.me/TracePost4.png[/shot]

Comment

If you ever plan on rotateing the LaserActor then what ffejnosliw said is a much better approach to advoid a bunch of vector code.

Comment

Originally posted by ffejnosliw View Post
                Attach the end object to the start object and it will move and rotate with the start object, effectively giving you exactly what you proposed.
                Haha - that's EXACTLY what I went for straight away - problem is - when I try attaching a 'Note' it throws up the old -

'Some object assignments failed because of cross-package references'

error - I did the classic - change my map name, but this seems to be a problem with attaching a note to another actor, as it does it with all actors when trying to attach a note.

any other ideas?

Comment

I would attached a hidden static mesh actor same result.

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaMinus1 View Post
                    I would attached a hidden static mesh actor same result.
                    Yeah - good call, I just want this as a prototype anyways - a not would be nicer for 'neatness' sake

Comment

This method of using an actor as the end point is really inconvenient when I'm trying to place multiple instances of a laser in the world, is there any way I could use the particle's target property/any other way of doing it? I tried making a Prefab out of the emitter and target object, but it causes the UDK to crash :P

Comment

[SOLVED]

WICKED - No additional objects needed just hook up the START AND END up to the SAME object and then type in an END OFFSET value - i.e. 1024

Doh!

Comment

*NOTE: Trace only works on world actors that have collsion volume and actors like the players and movers.
                          You mean it doen't work with a camera actor?

Comment

Working...
                          X