Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

any documentation on day-night cycles?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any documentation on day-night cycles?

im looking for a tutorial on day-night cycles, but i cant seem to find one.

so im thinkin about testing it out my self not a 24 hour cycle, and so far i have thought of.

having maybe a directional light, and in certain points of the game, i have a trigger to determain the direction of the light, maybe even an area with a large trigger and a slow rotating animation on the directional light.

the only problem would be with sky domes. how would i change a daylight sky dome, to a night one?

I cheated and used a dark post-process

Comment

Originally posted by gegebel View Post
      I cheated and used a dark post-process
      Really smart, any picture of what you did ?

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by smerf1 View Post
        the only problem would be with sky domes. how would i change a daylight sky dome, to a night one?
        With Material nodes. You can always make a custom one.

Comment

You could switch the skybox material by code, move the lense flare in kismet and change the postprocessing material with code.

Comment

I hope this might be of use, a very basic scene I created without kismet or unreal script. obviously you would want to make some fairly major changes, but it runs at a good frame rate on my computer.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6827713/Day%26Night.udk

Any questions, just ask, and once again, I know it would work better with kismet.

Comment

The easiest way to do this IMO is to simply attach a dominant directional moveable to a skydome that itself rotates (easily done in F4 properties, physics = rotating). Make the skydome material change color over time to reflect the time of day. To add more to it, include a separate cloud layer that flows across the sky. If you wanna get fancy, add a star map texture that blends into your material during the night cycle.

Comment

I tried dominant directional moveable, but for some reason there is still light when it should be dark.

If the directional light was produced based on the position of the movable in world location, rather than rotation of the dominant directional movable light, we might have a better effect.

I'm still playing with several scenarios of doing this and the suggestions made by danimal' certainly give me pause and is something i'll try tonight when I get home.

Comment

hey, im looking for a tutorial too, because there are problems with directional lights:
                  I have a big world, the shadow radius will be big and the shadows are going to be ugly
                  I dont want black shadows, but if I plug a sky light the night wont be dark.
                  and I need color changes.. day-yellow morning-light blue afternoon-orange

Comment

This is really specific for a tutorial request.

Comment

http://www.moddb.com/groups/udk-deve...cycle#imagebox

I dunno if this really requires a tutorial. I could write one, but to be honest it is just a combination of the simplest functions of various elements. Weather it is about lights, materials, fog, or post processing effects. It is done entirely via kismet and matinee.

Comment

That's very cool Havoc. A tutorial would be nice but if not, simple list of elements and post process you used would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Havoc89 View Post
                          http://www.moddb.com/groups/udk-deve...cycle#imagebox

I dunno if this really requires a tutorial. I could write one, but to be honest it is just a combination of the simplest functions of various elements. Weather it is about lights, materials, fog, or post processing effects. It is done entirely via kismet and matinee.
                          I'd still want a tutorial if you'd be so kind

Comment

I worried to make a good night/day cycles system too, but once I found simple decision:

First off all, the highest sky is in night without any clouds. I decided to make a FULL-sized sphere but with - (minus) size (I mean that this is like a simple sky with textures on the inside). One half of this sphere is using "Skydome" texture, and another is using "sky" texture. And I'm forcing this skydome to rotate .
                            The second sphere with minus size too will be smaller - It will be the sphere with the only clouds (other pieces is using only Alpha Channel). It's a full sized sphere too. I'm forcing to rotate this sky. And with only kismet we are making a skylight, that are changing the self parameters.
                            And a very important thing - the map is need to be saved to one file, the sky with the skydome to another file, and the clouds with the light and visual post-process volume in the third.
                            Then at the game we are combining these files at one, and when we need to make a very cloudy weather or overcast weather, we just replace the clouds in the game to dummy with a light or to a many clouds with post-process and a rain.
                            This system is giving us possibility to make day-night cycles and even dynamic weather ! One problem is to smoothy combine all the sky with clouds, lights and post process with another. But it will be very cool, I think

Comment

havoc thats very cool! Please do a tutorial, please.. T.T
                              I need it a lot

Comment

Working...
                              X