Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

3D Buzz Video Tutorials - Using UDK

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I am new to UDK and to these forums and I have a problem. I know this has been already asked, but since I am beginner I still can't do it. I am watching the 3D Buzz tutorials and at 05_-_Kismet__005_TogglingMaterial I need to do this: "New Actor> Material Instance> Set Vector Param", but it isn't here, probably it was removed in an update. I read this:
    Originally posted by wolfsage View Post
    I've worked out how to fix this.

instead of using "New Actor> Material Instance> Set Vector Param" which doesn't exists any more.

You need to create a new Matinee> Add New Empty Group> Add New Vector Material Param Track

Then create two key frames to animate light on/off

Plug into Kismet using the switch node as in the tutorial and set Link1> Play, Link2> Reverse.
    The problem is that I don't know how to animate the light on/off. Again I am beginner, I would be grateful if someone can tell my how to do it, step by step. I created 2 key frames, but what's next? I tried putting some materials in "Material", setting a Param Name, moving keys, tried also with a static mesh (that fluorescent tube) and InterpActor, but still when I turn the light on and off, nothing changes.

Comment

awesome videos thanks.

Comment

Thanks!!!!

Comment

Are these videos the same videos on the UDK main page video tutorials? cause I've downloaded them...

Comment

hi ...
            i have problem to make / Spawn enemy in the level ... i create kismet like video tutorials last chapter Top Down Game Demo but Bots not created !!! i use UDK-2011-05 ...
            please help me .... when i'm use this tutorial in UDK-2010-02 it's worked and when i open test map in UDK-2011-05 still work ...!!! i need a way to create this enemy system in UDK-2011-05 because my map build in UDK-2011-05 and i can't running in UDK-2010-02

Please Help Me ....

Comment

I've been going though the 3D Buzz tutorials and, as a beginner at UDK, I'd have to say that it has been very frustrating. There seems to be features mentioned in each video that just do no exist anymore. It's really time consuming to go searching for solutions or workarounds. I'd say it's time for these videos to be redone.

Right now I can't figure out why my point lights won't turn off like in the Top Down: Key Touch Events video. help?

Comment

NM. I was using a regular point light instead of of toggle-able light (It did say this in the vid). I think I'm just getting frustrated.

Comment

Originally posted by zerd_sword View Post
                  I've been going though the 3D Buzz tutorials and, as a beginner at UDK, I'd have to say that it has been very frustrating. There seems to be features mentioned in each video that just do no exist anymore. It's really time consuming to go searching for solutions or workarounds. I'd say it's time for these videos to be redone.

Right now I can't figure out why my point lights won't turn off like in the Top Down: Key Touch Events video. help?
                  We at UDKLearning are in the middle of a complete revamp of these tutorials and basing them on the Latest builds. They should be done by the 1st of the year. There is allot that has to be changed, and some features that have been added that need new tutorials.

You can follow us from the link in my sig.

Comment

Hey zerd_sword what I recommend you do in the mean time is download an early build of the UDK, one that is relevant to the tutorials so that you can do them, once you get through them you should have no trouble moving onto the newer builds of the UDK as the principals are basically the same - Obviously the earlier tuts do not cover things like the new terrain system or the new UI system scaleform, but you can still learn a lot from those tuts.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Chrustec, but I just put my nose to the old grindstone and worked my way through. I learned a bunch in the process, swore a lot at the monitor, and came out the other side! Getting back into Flash after taking a 5 year hiatus was probably the suckiest part, but I've got to admit that having actionscript functionality is pretty awesome.

Can't wait for udpated tuts though. I'm sure there's more to learn.

Comment

Pretty nice for me, I got that, thx a lot~~~~.

Comment

the tuts are out of date but still very useful. only major thing that is missing from newer versions is UISCENES.everything else i have been able to learn and use. i started with june version and now use august.

the main thing i would suggest when redoing the tuts is to only focus on whats needed in the each tuturial , the current ones spend half the tuts making named variables you dont need. ive had to watch many for over 5 mins before he even mentions the 1 node needed.
                          i understand hes trying to show how things can be done with extra depth if needed but normally it isnt and can be confusing going thru long tut making silly amount of named variables just because hes got ocd and has to have it neat and tidy.

big thanks for the tuts helped me alot.

i suggest first one you cover in new tuts is UISCENES/ canvas/hud , my game has pretty much all the things needed apart from that.

thanks.

Comment

I have watched them in 2009 still sometimes even now comes handy

Comment

will be there actual versions? (with the landscapemode and so on)

Comment

hope they will be updated version

Comment

Working...
                                X