Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flight Simulation

Hi again!

I'm up to the point of implementing some flight physics and I'm not sure whether I should be using rigid bodies (AddForce/AddTorque) to simulate flight or if I can just calculate the forces and apply them through an acceleration, currently I use: Pawn.Acceleration = NewAccel;

So far I can rotate my pawn around every axis using quaternions but now I'm not sure what to do. If I'm moving slowly I don't want to be able to change the orientation of the pawn at all (or not by much) until it starts gaining more speed like a real plane. I've had a look at some airplane physics and I've noticed in some samples that a lift coefficient is a function of the velocity squared /2 and the angle of attack etc, then that lift coefficient controls the pitch.

Am I on the right track in developing equations for pitch/yaw/roll in terms of the planes properties (velocity, angle of attack)? or is there a much easier way to do it?

To help you help me I'll let you know that I'm not extending UT classes (not installed) and I am working from an empty game and I don't want to change that. If you would like me to put up a video of what I've got so far, then let me know and I'll be happy to.

Lastly, this is what I would like replicate in terms of flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5gb2XfjW0U

Thanks!
Working...
X