Don't use unreal engine 4. udk 3 suits all your needs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't use unreal engine 4. udk 3 suits all your needs

Game development has turned into sales pitch in epic with the release of the unreal 4 due to the workability for someone with low exp in programming, there is nothing that udk 3 can't do that unreal 4 can and switching engines is just backtracking and if u agree bump this post and keep the comunitty alive

uhmm lets see

proper character physics, nope
    speedtree + foliage, nope
    dynamically updated navmeshes, nope
    decent DX11 implementation, nope
    quick prototyping of non-shooter games, nope
    extending the editor, nope
    full source access, nope
    re-compilation of code without restarting, nope
    multiplayer kismet and in-editor multiplayer testing, nope
    third party plugin support, nope
    active support, nope

I could go on and on but at this point I'll just say that if you don't see the advantages of UE4 it's because you don't want to see them
    UE4 does come with some rough edges, new bugs, a new learning curve, higher system reqs, and that thing you call 'development turned into a sales pitch'. I can agree it's not for everyone.
    I still use UDK myself, but to not accept that UE4 is superior in almost every aspect would be naive

Comment

Well i see a lot of people quite game development projects cause they switch engines, and udk 3 dose all those things, with the exeption of blue prints but if ur a coder u don't need blue prints

Comment

And bro speed trees are foilage and proper phisics on pawns it don't get any better then udk 3 for that your jist listing random things that u don't know about and if its not good enough change the source code and make it better and release it to comunitty

and if unreal 4 makes it so easy on work flow don't u think epic would have just made a botton that builds the game for them and sell the game there selfs

Comment

personally i prefer working with udk over ue4, only because i know udk inside out and can do anything i can dream of with it, and you dont need a brand new super computer (or phone) to run the games.
          ue4 is better in so many ways, not only blueprints but the entire engine.
          on top of that udk has good as been abandoned by its developers with only a skeleton crew trying and failing badly to fix critical bugs that render it useless for ios games.

from the comments you make i take it you never actually tried ue4?
          what happened with udk has put me off using any unreal engine for future projects, currently learning another engine.

Comment

Originally posted by caseyholcomb View Post
            And bro speed trees are foilage and proper phisics on pawns it don't get any better then udk 3 for that your jist listing random things that u don't know about and if its not good enough change the source code and make it better and release it to comunitty
            sounds like
            A) you haven't used UE4 at all
            B) you haven't needed to use UDK too deeply
            C) all of the above

man I know what I'm talking about. I've used UE3 for years, both for my personal project and at work. what I listed is not random stuff, all of them are actual limitations of UDK that UE4 doesn't have.

- you cannot use speed trees with the foliage tool, period. yes this means if you use SpeedTree you have to place your trees by hand, one by one.
            - pawn physics are too simple (it relies on one cylinder). I've added quite some extra functionality to pawn physics but it's CPU-intensive, feels hacky, and you can only do so much with it (step on a RigidBody and expect horrible physics behavior)
            - you cannot "change the source code and release it to the community" because guess what, we only have access to the UnrealScript source code (and all the low-level stuff happens natively, in case you don't know)

you're comparing one tool you don't know all that much about, with another tool you seem to know nothing about. I suspect your comparisons are purely about graphics

Comment

I've used udk for 2 years, cryengine for 3 and unity for one, I've learned max inside and out, fl studios, and cpp, cs, java, python, and u script, and there all this i would like to say the quility dosnt matter on the engine, its all effected at the source like max where it was originally created or the res of the texture

Comment

i know what you are saying, udk is a fine engine and you can make any game you want with it and it looks good if you put in the effort.
                however, unfortunately for us poor saps who took the time to learn it, udk is now dead, broken and abandoned. it will likely remain festering in its own bug filled corpse as everyone moves on to something else.
                shame really, if epic had kept on top of the bugs from the start instead of adding new bug filled features it might have stood the test of time.

Comment

The launch and timing of UE4 was a blood bath. Epic should have waited and polished it some more. After all, who wants to be a guinea pig! And they should have forewarned the community ahead of the launch, instead of just dumping it on us. The release was highly speculative and it would have been better to have had a guide or approximate date instead, so we could plan around it. I don't know why it was such a big secret. Perhaps in the end, there was a rush to 'use' the wider community to 'prove' the new platform... Either way, it sure was a sucker punch to anyone invested in UDK, because the launch date meant nothing short of sudden-death!

Overall UDK is still a solid stable platform and it may continue for years to come. It all depends on people's own goals and ongoing development projects. But it clearly has no future, because Epic will only fix certain bugs. However that's not the whole story anyhow, because from the outset Kismet was never powerful enough, and unrealscript was never open or interactive enough to do all the kinds of things people want now.

I'm quite fond of UDK... But there are some serious shortcomings that may never be fixed! Not just annoying iOS / Facebook issues, but fundamental problems with Crowds and Pathing etc. Some escaped these hits, others didn't. Some of the bugs are unforgivable too... For example, how did Epic consciously break and leave Crowd Agents & Replication broken since 2011?... Some including myself filed a petition with Paul Oliver @ Epic to get that fixed, but despite early promises, no one from Epic is interested!

So what's Epic's answer to all of this? Its.... wait for it... to 'Port' from UDK to UE4... But Epic won't confirm which components are bug-free or finished, including Crowds. Moreover, there are no official porting tools, so the sheer amount of 'unknowns' here makes this a massive gamble! Overall, I feel the owner of the IP should provide the tools. Why? Because collectively they have hundreds or thousands of years of experience. Plus, they didn't warn us. Plus, even cutthroat corporations like Microsoft give end-of-life warnings!

In short, Epic's advice is not the positive encouragement they seem to think it is. So I think its better to hold-off migrating altogether for the moment. I also think its a motivating force to go back and re-examine other engines before simply following the herd to UE4. While the new engine is undoubtedly going to be popular, it still doesn't offer next-gen procedurally generated open-world games. But why not?... E3's Indie star 'No Man's Sky' will be out next year and it may or may not take off... But if its IP enables small teams of Indies to produce larger than life Triple-A titles, then I certainly want in.... Dunno about anyone else...

Comment

Exactly what i was saying, try and keep the comunitty alive

Comment

Sure thing Casey, but we still need to petition Epic to give us bug fixes for UDK...

Comment

And not only that frankit but i dont think there gona be able to change u script code thats allready written to cpp

Comment

The UDK may be powerful, but it's still limited. For example you need to come crawling to Epic, begging for bug fixes. With the UE4, you could attempt to fix it yourself, because you have full source code access.
                          But if you only want to mess with content and game logic, the UDK probably is easier to use. Writing UnrealScript code is IMHO easier in most cases than writing C++ code. But then again, there's Blueprint, which is essentially Kismet with the power of Unrealscript.

Comment

People are right here.I realy dont see harm in learning ue4 but that is not the correct way to coexist.Right now udk is only usable for pc games(and i doubt that people these days are gona choose udk for a pc game,a few years back yes but today...)The only thing that was keeping udk alive was the ios development and as people say its been fail after another fail.If this doesnt get fixed,in my opinion udk will stop to exist and with him this comunity that contains so much knoledge will become a ghost forum.I know that epic is a big company but now they are trying to prove that ue4 is the next step(it is),trying to make a new unreal tournament,geting complains form the udk comunity(if they read them),there was another game of development and who knows how much other things.To me its clear that with so much stuff something has to get cut out in order for them to make it.
                            This coud become a definitive thread to make epic talk and see if they are gona change something or people will move to other things.If anyone knows a moderator or someone from the team please invite them to this topic.

Comment

I could agree on the fact that because of updatez unreal 4 is better but i would disagree that blueprints has the power of unrealscript because blueprrint is just another kismet its limited but with cpp code might be better

Comment

Working...
                              X