Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

InterpData -- Negative Compression by Engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

InterpData -- Negative Compression by Engine?

I have a map with a fairly large amount of Kismet movement data and I noticed that if I cut and paste the movement data (InterpData) from a SeqAct_Interp and store it in notepad, it is less than a third the size of the space the interpolation data requires when I save the map. This is completely backward from what I expected, since going from text to binary would reduce the size considerable and even if the map stored movement data in ASCII, then it would remain roughly the same size.

For example I remove 209kb of text data for an InterpData actor in my map and the map file size is impacted by 710kb. I remove 574kb of text data for an InterpData actor and the file size is impacted by 1,971kb.

The map/game runs fine with the matinees, the only issue is the file size of the maps.

The InterpData actors are very straightforward with time, movement and rotation values for every key point, so I cannot imagine any processing the editor can be doing on the raw data that would increase its size by nearly 250%.

I've thought about storing the movement data in an array in a custom class and creating and linking InterpData's at load time, but that seems crazy hard. I have tried reducing the decimal accuracy of the stored data from six digits to three digits, but the engine just fills in zeros and this has absolutely no impact on storage size.
Working...
X