Vehicles jitter and become choppy in Bot Gameplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicles jitter and become choppy in Bot Gameplay

We have a bunch of vehicles in our game. When you test out one of our maps and play alone, you can fly/drive around in our vehicles smoothly and they behave physically as expected. However, when I add bots (especially when I add a lot of bots like, let's say 30) vehicle movement becomes VERY choppy... It just feels plain bad.

I tried the same thing with a clean UDK install and an empty map. Same thing... so it's not like we screw up with something, but seems to be a problem built into UDK itself. It becomes best visible with flying vehicles, like the Cicada. Simply spawn it in an empty map, add a lot of bots and try to fly around with it. It simply doesn't work, i.e. doesn't feel right at all.

Any idea what needs to be done to fix this?

We found out that the Problem lies within the camera code in the UTVehicle. Specifically the code for dissolving the Frame lag is the Problem. Does anyone know how to fix it or knows a Workaround for it?

Comment

Okay, the problem is the adjustable camera lag.

If camera lag is enabled in the default properties (e.g. in UTVehicle_Cicada.uc, where CameraLag is set to 0.05 by default) and you add a good amount of bots to the map you're playing, vehicle movement starts to heavily jitter and stutter. This appears to be a STRAIGHT BUG in UDK. And I don't have much hope this gets fixed soon. The bad thing is that you really need to be able to use CameraLag, because otherwise vehicles simply don't feel dynamically enough.

So, yea... vehicles are pretty much broken in UDK (just like terrain/landscape, distance crossfade in the soundsystem... and just so much else). How frustrating!
      Did that huge memory leak get fixed that was introduced with the November 2012 version of UDK?

But who needs a working engine, if you can have Perforce and Substance? Yay anyone?
      @Epic: What about fixing the stuff that's broken before adding more and more useless stuff? ... ah, heck. Nobody's going to read this anyway.

Comment

Well... the way I think about UDK, it's like a free block buster movie I get to shape in own my image, although it's the people with the bucks who get the serious attention, so that's life.
        Presently I have a tank turret that turns opposite to the accursed barrel and the mg, don't ask, but I'll work it out somehow. Yeah, I try looking on the upside. To me UDK's about the best gaming system on earth, free. It's beautiful like a stealth bomber, like my own army, government - the friggin' works all mine, muhha. Did you know there's a free forum too

Comment

I agree that UDK is a great system that has tons of potential. But it's also full of bugs. Features intended to be in there should be fixed before adding additional stuff (Perforce, Substance) IMO. E.g., I cannot release a game knowing that there's a HUGE memory leak issue in the system. It's been there for half a year now... and nobody seems to care. Instead we get new features with upgrades. THAT'S SIMPLY FRUSTRATING!

And while UE3 is still behind its potential, Epic starts to push UE4.

Nowadays the bottleneck to great graphics is not technology, but creative manpower! However, creative manpower needs strong and reliable tools. UE3/UDK is strong, but is it reliable?

Comment

Just saying I'm extremely hesitant to gripe about this fantastic opportunity which if it was selling there's no way could I afford it. Yeah there's problems. UDK obviously know that and like us they're working to fix them. They feel like you, like me, but it's life, it's software, it's Devving, got to love it

Comment

Ambershee mentioned that a fix for the mem leak is due in the next release.

Comment

Ok I rewrote the entire GetCameraStart()-Function. As far as I can say the way epic designed the camera lag code is not working with unstable framerates. So I went a completely different way to Archive the camera lag. I declared a Maximum cameraoffset in unreal Units like 50.0. Thats the Offset which the camera should have at the vehicles Maximum Speed. First, I am calculating the actual vehicles Speed. After that I am calculating the current Offset by multiplying the maxcamoffset by the factor of the current Speed divided by the max vehicle Speed. Now I have the cameraoffset for the current velocity. To calculate the camera Position you simply use the Location or seat Position of the vehicle and substract (because we want to have a view from behind the vehicle) the Offset for the current velocity. To retreave the vector for that Offset you simply normalize the velocity vector of the vehicle which represents the current vehicles velocity direction and multiply this normalized velocity vector with your cameraoffset. Thats it! Ist a very simple way to archieve almost the same behaviour but without the bouncing camera. I will extend the code and do some more stuff there to smooth some things out.

Comment

Working...
                X