Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UDK and SimplePawn, groundspeed has no effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UDK and SimplePawn, groundspeed has no effect?

So I started using UDK about 2 years ago now, then changing the pawn speed was simply to set the groundspeed.

However, now no change is present when I set the groundspeed to something else if I'm extending from either UDKPawn or SimplePawn.
    How do you set their speed now?

in default properties then it's
    Code:
    GroundSpeed=number
    but in function i don't know if it works for UDKPawn but for UTPawn i would do it this way it works for me
    Code:
    UTPawn(Owner).GroundSpeed *= number ;
    anyway i don't know if it will work for you but it does for me and i use an old version of UDK so perhaps they changed a little bit i'm not sure anyway

Comment

As I said, groundspeed does absolutely nothing.

Comment

That's weird it should work already extended UDK and i could set the groundspeed on the default properties what version of UDK you using ?

Comment

07 2011, and 09 2011

Comment

Alright can't test on this pc right now as i use 2011-05; i've got the 2012-01 on my other pc (which is far away) i ain't home, so tonight i'll test it and bump on here if it works or not
            in the meantime someone that tests it before me will hopefully post here

Comment

Are you changing AccelRate as well, or just GroundSpeed?

Comment

I seem to be having the same problem as well! I extend from GamePawn though, and I see a GroundSpeed variable being declared all the way up in the Pawn class. I have no idea why it wouldn't be working

Comment

Are you sure your classes are being used? Groundspeed is technically the -maximum- speed that you can move at in phys_walking, but the default code also allows you to quite quickly get up to groundspeed

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Comment

Tested it right now ... Didn't know you are right i extend UDK and in my pawn i wrote Groundspeed=500 then i wrote Groundspeed=+500 still didn't do any effect even if i wrote GroundSpeed=000.000020 or GroundSpeed =+000.000020 it would do no effect, is GroundSpeed broken in UDK, ? in UT it works i tried it a few months ago and it worked with the same version than i have 01-2012, weird thing to do be honest,

Comment

I used to have this problem too, but it disappeared after I created a collision cylinder, not sure if its related but thats what I did. Or it could be that I forgot to define the Pawn class in my GameInfo or something.

Anyway, it works for me, I didn't even defined ground speed in default properties, I just have a sprint function that makes it groundspeed *= 3 when sprint button is held. It works on 2011-12, 2012-02 and 2012-03.

Here's the all code I have related to groundspeed

Code:
                      exec function runToggle()
                      {
                      	bRunToggle = !bRunToggle;

if (bRunToggle)
                      	{
                      		Pawn.GroundSpeed *= 3;
                      	}
                      	else if (!bRunToggle)
                      	{
                      		Pawn.GroundSpeed /= 3;
                      	}
                      }

exec function sprint()
                      {
                      	Pawn.GroundSpeed *= 3;
                      }

exec function stopSprint()
                      {
                      	Pawn.GroundSpeed /= 3;
                      }
                      This is inside my player controller and it works just fine.

Comment

Graylord
                        Search trough your code: maybe somewhere in Tick etc. GroundSpeed is changed. For example, in function with out parameter...

Comment

GroundSpeed is only set once in my case, and that's in the default properties.
                          And my classes are definitely being used.

Comment

Have you tried doing a full recompile of the scripts using the front end, "UnrealFrontend.exe"?
                            A couple months ago an install of UDK was giving me similar trouble, and using the front end to force rebuild all scripts worked.

It's still a very odd issue you've been having. Does setting GroundSpeed using the console do anything for you?

Comment

It does not.

Compiling is not the issue, as other changes in the same classes are working properly.

A colleague of mine who is using pretty much a fresh install (really just some levels and models added) of UDK 09, 2011 and is having the exact same issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X