Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Unrealscript in Unreal Engine 4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unrealscript in Unreal Engine 4?

Sorry if this post has already been made, ive searched and havnt found anything. I was just wondering what people's thoughts were on how much Unrealscript may change in Unreal Engine 4. I know these arent answerable with facts but maybe people have insight.

Will the language be relied on more or less?

Will kismet possibly gain more footing over Unrealscript in the future?

Will the language change a lot or is that mostly done in patching and updates to Unreal Engine 3?

Generally how easy is it to update code you have for a game to a next generation engine?

Basically I am just curious on the permanency of Unrealscript and if people think or know about any major shifts to look out for.

Originally posted by macattackk View Post
    Will kismet possibly gain more footing over Unrealscript in the future?
    Kismet is no substitute for script. Some people leverage it's power to make complete games, but it's purpose is really to support level designers in adding interactive elements to maps. It also relies on script for most of it's functionality.

Comment

I'm expecting UnrealScript to still exists, but largely exist for the purposes of being a data structure. Gameplay code would probably find it's way into a hot swappable DLL.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
        I'm expecting UnrealScript to still exists, but largely exist for the purposes of being a data structure. Gameplay code would probably find it's way into a hot swappable DLL.
        can you explain this more? do you mean it will be more C++ oriented?

Comment

Unreal Script exists since Unreal was created back in 95 and it still remains the "same".

Yes, it has been changing over the years, but it's just some minor changes.

Comment

I really hope it will remain the same, but the stagnation of it's recent development (no compiler optimization, lack of multidimensional array support) may seem like rather bad omens and can raise the thoughts that it is no longer looked into because it's role will be less significant in UE4.

That's the pessimistic view, though. The realistic one could also be that Mr. Sweeney is fully into the coding of the UE4 himself and holds any additions to UnrealScript until the next engine generation.

Comment

im just scared that the development of my game in unrealscript now will become an issue if I want to upgrade to unreal engine 4 because of the language changing dramatically or because of it being used less.

Comment

Most of the reason for a new engine is to handle next-gen platforms, which doesn't necessarily affect code (we're assuming a lot of stuff happens between the hardware and high level UScript that handles all of this for us). And a lot of the changes since back in the day are new functionality, not scaling back on the usefulness of UScript. If anything, moving your game to the new engine would provide more opportunities and options.

Short version: I wouldn't be worried

Comment

I'm not sure what will happen to unrealscript but I don't believe c/c++ is a substitute when it comes to gameplay code! I believe game theory whilst mathematical in nature delves into areas where only extensive knowledge of those languages can yeild similar results to a language designed specifically for game events. I do know that these lanuages see alot of general use so it makes for an easier entry point for any computer science major to swap fields but to me game design requires alot more than mimicry.

I would like to see where this collaboration between Epic and Adobe goes because I believe UnrealScript could learn a thing or two from ActionScript, it still has the benefits of other Ctype languages but its syntax is akin to unrealscript in that its neat, it is ofcoarse less strict so there does need to be a middle ground. The event handlers are one thing that are useful and after using C# I can see the benefits of generic types but I found the syntax there to be sloppy and more full of junk than really needed.

Im not saying I dont like c/c++ but I do believe there are better alternatives than messing about with libraries, thats one of the things I most enjoy about UnrealScript is its up and running in literally seconds. To lose that plug and play over spending time installing a huge IDE and setting up all the niggly bits would be very sad.

Comment

can you explain this more? do you mean it will be more C++ oriented?
                    If it's a hot swappable DLL it doesn't matter what language you program it in, only that it can take and pass the relevant basic types.

Comment

I thought there was only a selection of languages that could be compiled to DLL files, or maybe Im wrong.

Comment

I would like you can change script and see the changes in game in real time (at least a preview), no the actual way: close udk, compile, run the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                          I thought there was only a selection of languages that could be compiled to DLL files, or maybe Im wrong.
                          Well yes, you can't program a DLL using javascript, it does have to be a language that supports it.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                            I don't believe c/c++ is a substitute when it comes to gameplay code! I believe game theory whilst mathematical in nature delves into areas where only extensive knowledge of those languages can yeild similar results to a language designed specifically for game events.
                            To me, this is about the same as saying that (for instance) German is better than English to write a book (which doesn't make much sense). The complexity of a framework has little to do with the language itself.

Comment

im just scared that the development of my game in unrealscript now will become an issue if I want to upgrade to unreal engine 4 because of the language changing dramatically or because of it being used less.
                              If you're changing game engine versions, you'll likely need to re-write it from scratch anyway, or at least very large portions of it. I wouldn't be surprised if this time there's a lot of housecleaning in the way the base scripts work. Assuming that there will still be a large quantity of script, opposing ambershee's viewpoint that it could be something else entirely.

Originally posted by Mougli View Post
                              To me, this is about the same as saying that (for instance) German is better than English to write a book (which doesn't make much sense). The complexity of a framework has little to do with the language itself.
                              Some computer languages are far better suited to specific purposes than others. There's not really much of an analog to that in human languages, though, other than the occasional word that has no translation to another language. (ie, the Klingons have no word for surrender, or some such)

Comment

Working...
                              X