Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dynamic Tactical AI Pseudo-Tutorial

Hello everyone,
    I am posting to gauge intrest in me creating a pseudo- tutorial on how to create advanced tactical AI. I have a thread about the AI in this thread : http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/890361-Recruits-AI-Dynamic-Combat-Tactics-(WIP) . I have noticed that their is very little documentation on creating relevant AI with unrealscript. I currently have a written document describing the concepts and basic impementation behind thesystem at: Recruits AI: Dynamic Combat Tactics . i would be writting another document that would go into far greater detail about the actual implementation within the UDK enviornment. due to the size of this undertaking, i would like to get a general feeling for if anyone would actually want/use it.

Thank You,
    Jason

Hello! I have read your pdf on the ai implamentation and have been following recruits for a long time now on indiedb. I would love a tutorial on how this was achieved. It would be very generous of you and would help the UDK community move towards a higher understanding of complex AI! My game Surreal System is currently attempting to undergo huge changes in the AI department to Give our enemies a type of "awarness" to the players actions and react based upon them. Knowing how you did some of the things you did would help tremendously.

So keep up the good work and Have a great day! (:

Comment

Nice write-up man, especially from someone in high school. I'd love to see a walkthrough of your AI implementation. I just started working on some turn-based AI, and the more examples we all see from a UDK perspective the more the community will benefit.

Comment

Bravo..! Grate article, you have made some grate analogies that I agree with. Maybe now peoples here will start caring about good AI - not only running and gunning...

Comment

Hi Jason,

i think a "real world" programming tutorial for your squad AI would be very helpfully to many of us. Its simple to get a moveToLocation() function working, but whats needed for a "natural" looking fighting AI is quite challenging for most UDK users. Since for some reason i see lots of new projects try there hands on navmeshses, rather than pathnodes this would also help, so others can see what real world problems exists.
          I personally would like to see your position evaluation, since thats what we also aim for in our game.

bye Andy

PS: I smiled quite a few times reading your pdf about the UDK navmesh system, since those are exact the same problems we had with it, but in the end we gave up on this buggy, incomplete system and now use pathnodes. I really could not get the navmesh generation stable enough, without bots getting stuck at "bad" generated areas like doors, portals, corners. I still think they should put a big "'Alpha' use on your own risk" sticker to the whole navmesh system.

Comment

Yes I agree, the lack of AI programming tutorial or even explanation are frustrating !
            I'm looking forward to your good tutorial

Comment

hi Jason - a tutorial would be terrific, thank you!

Comment

Yes this would be perfect. Would help myself a lot, and probably loads of other people too

Comment

It would be very nice from you ,unreal community have been waiting for a saviour like you ^^

Comment

I would love to see something like this and how you accomplished this

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback! As far as the tutorial would go, Does anybody have any ideas for how they would like it to be delivered? A line by line analysis would not be possible, so would you rather me give descriptions and samples for each portion of the system?

Once again thank you for all the feedback!

Comment

i think a good copy-paste with some good comments included for every function/state and major variables would be fantastic
                        easy to implement and modify ^^

Comment

Yes, similar to what pcmaster said, something that explains the main functions and how everything fits together.

Comment

I agree with the gentlemen above. I would also add that, while I'd love to see the more complex, actual AI stuff you do, for me personaly it would be most helpful if I could see how you could overcome the horrible navmesh system.

Comment

Haha yeah, navmesh was a *****. Most of it was compromises with level design and having redundancies in the case of Fail-Paths. I wont be releasing the source code, partially because I think its always best to try and figure it out yourself and not be limited to copy-pasted code of someone else, and mostly because its for an active game. I think that what you guys recommended would be best. I will give details about all the major functions and sections and how they work together. Ill have some sample code, although once again not full source. I would also like to note that this is going to be complementing the document provided above. You should defanitly have read the document I wrote up describing the concepts. The "Tutorial" will be more UScript specific and actual implementation with it. Ill be writing it up over the next few days. If anyone is impatient and has anything they want to ask me, Feel free to PM me or add me on skype (username: theflamingskunk).

Thank You All.

Comment

Working...
                              X