Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Flow

Hi all!
    Last few days I tried to realize "water flow" feature, like described here - http://graphicsrunner.blogspot.com/2...flow-maps.html.
    This is not really hard to create that shader, but there is a necessity to create custom material expression, that will simulates a "sawtooth" wave function, for resetting distortion amount.
    As I see, in UDK classes like MaterialExpressionSine, there is no way to create custom expression without C++ sources, or I missing something?

Can't you use a custom HLSL node?

Comment

for what?
      if it will be some for loop, how I can specify it's step to 1 Tick?

Comment

ok, I already create this, without coding
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUCYgqlN3tk
        only one thing I needed is Time Varying Material Instance

Comment

Hey, that's pretty cool! Awesome work

Comment

Originally posted by redbox View Post
            ok, I already create this, without coding
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUCYgqlN3tk
            only one thing I needed is Time Varying Material Instance
            Why the MITV? Did you use it for the 'curve editor' type setup?

Comment

looking very cool allready. It does look a bit thick though... around the edges of a block.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                Why the MITV? Did you use it for the 'curve editor' type setup?
                Yeah, with cycle time offset.

Comment

As you can see, "pulsing" of surface is not solved for now, but I think that is not a real problem. The real problem is to create "flowmap" in Houdini. I think Valve use some tool, for detecting where the objects intersect water surface, then painting vertexes in that places in specific colors, and then bend normals with that color.

Comment

Vertex painting in UDK?

Comment

No, in Houdini.

Comment

Nio, I meant use vertex painting instead of relying on the external package - you could manually paint your flow into the vertex colours - three vertex colours gives you a vector that you can weight appropriately, and you don't then have to have an extra texture for each and every water plane.

Comment

Hm. It's interesting idea.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link and discussing this.. Some great concepts here

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                              Nio, I meant use vertex painting instead of relying on the external package - you could manually paint your flow into the vertex colours
                              It's possible, but difficult and time consuming, good way to loose your sanity lol. I can't believe there's no publicly available program (or script) out there to help artists paint 2d vector fields.

@ redbox, A sawtooth sine can be created with a time -> fraction node.

This setup uses vertex paint with the optional use of a texture flow map (If I find or create a decent method of making them, I'll let you know):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X1vFVGAlwk

Comment

Working...
                              X