Unreal Development Kit Game Programming with UnrealScript: Beginner's Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone! For the past few months I've been working with Packt Publishing on a beginner's guide to UnrealScript, and now it's been announced!

The book is written for anyone who is new to UnrealScript, whether you're just getting into programming or you're moving to UnrealScript from another language. Instead of dry text, you'll build a working game that's added to with each chapter while building on your knowledge of the language.

Chapter list:
    1. Project Setup and Test Environments
    2. Storing and Manipulating Data
    3. Understanding the Class Tree
    4. Making Custom Classes
    5. Using Functions
    6. Using States to Control Behavior
    7. Working With Kismet
    8. Creating Multiplayer Games
    9. Optimizing Your Code
    10. Odds and Ends

If you've read my UT2004 tutorials you know you'll be getting your money's worth out of this book. As a self-taught programmer I've tried to write the book I would have wanted when I started using UnrealScript.

Head over to the website to pre-order your copy, it will be released in a few months!

That's amazing! I'm definately buying it.

Comment

You actually took up their ****ty contract? You'd have been a million times better off self-publishing.

Comment

I agree. I am still working on my book about UnrealScript and CreateSpace or similar options present far more control over the work.

Comment

That's assuming I would have written the book otherwise, but hey, thanks for the career advice.

Comment

Well obviously it is and was your decision. I was just merely suggesting that perhaps if you write future books you may want to consider that option. I apologize if I offended you as it was not the intent.

Your book looks good by the way! The cover not so much ._. (hopefully the cover is not final, as does Packt really need such a big logo on your book? I guess it is probably just a placeholder graphic).

Comment

np and none taken. I don't have plans for any books after this though.

The cover is temporary, the final details are still being worked out.

Comment

I also wasn't meaning to be offensive, but I did find it surprising. These guys must have bounced off almost everybody who works with Unreal.

Originally posted by DonaldM View Post
                Well obviously it is and was your decision. I was just merely suggesting that perhaps if you write future books you may want to consider that option.
                Unfortunately Packt's contract doesn't allow that. They get first refusal over everything else you write in future too.

Comment

Originally posted by ambershee View Post
                  I also wasn't meaning to be offensive, but I did find it surprising. These guys must have bounced off almost everybody who works with Unreal.

Unfortunately Packt's contract doesn't allow that. They get first refusal over everything else you write in future too.
                  Really? That seems like fairly harsh terms.

Comment

I may be interested in the multiplayer aspect. Does it only include simple one time events like turning something on/off or also advanced material like usage of the prediction system in the UT code?

Comment

Can you provide any details on what type of game gets created in the end? I am considering a purchase needless to say and want to know how complex it gets. (The more advanced the better! )

Comment

Originally posted by Psykocyber View Post
                        I may be interested in the multiplayer aspect. Does it only include simple one time events like turning something on/off or also advanced material like usage of the prediction system in the UT code?
                        It's a beginner's guide so it doesn't get too heavy into multiplayer or AI. Chapter 8 deals with the server/client relationship, setting up and testing a server on a single machine as well as how to use replication for variables and function calls.

Originally posted by SpartanDonut View Post
                        Can you provide any details on what type of game gets created in the end? I am considering a purchase needless to say and want to know how complex it gets. (The more advanced the better! )
                        In the end the reader creates a top down shooter similar to Alien Swarm or Nation Red, with simple enemies and bosses attacking in waves. I wanted to cover as much as possible, the main things being changing the camera view, the way the player takes and deals damage, and the rules of the game. I also wanted to make sure interaction with Kismet was discussed.

Comment

Ah cool. I probably won't make a purchase based on that. Sounds like fairly basic things (which of course you have mentioned it being a beginners guide so thats fine ) but I definitely commend you for getting this out there! Based on my recent searches on amazon it will really be one of the first books for unrealscript.

Comment

Oh! Another question! Any sort of agreements that you had to make with Epic?

Comment

I doubt it, the Documentation specifically states that you can produce documentation and the like, and use the words UDK, Unreal Dev Kit, etc, so long as it is made clear that the work is not endorsed by Epic.

Comment

Working...
                              X