Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Creating Save Games in UDK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the help everyone!

Turns out my code was totally fine - problem was my bloody Kismet Node - I was calling the wrong function, last time I program late into the night.

Thanks for all the help Baldtoast and Solid Snake

Comment

would someone mind to make a full tutorial for idiots like me?

or is there already one?

Comment

Originally posted by PaulKrause View Post
        would someone mind to make a full tutorial for idiots like me?

or is there already one?

What do you want the tutorial to explain?

Comment

basicly a step by step tutorial how to implement such a save system ingame and attach it to the game menu.
          i know thats probably a lot, but im sure a lot of people would like to have one.
          im still noobish at Uscript....i can make weapon classes and stuff but i dont understand those savegame tutorials out there

Comment

Ill structure the save system and post something shortly

Comment

Hello again,

I put a rough tutorial together - I'll expand on it tomorrow but it should help you get started. I aim to expand and write up a few more tutorials over time but for now I'm off to bed, caught a nasty nasty stomach bug

Enjoy: http://danhaddad.wordpress.com/2011/...save-tutorial/

Comment

AWESOME thank you

Comment

Originally posted by PaulKrause View Post
                  AWESOME thank you
                  No problem I'll write up a few more soon some that would take this further

Comment

I´ve a problem with specifiing the patchname. The strings UDK uses allway delete the "\" char (saw it through log). So, if i have a string s and try to assign the path

"g:\udk\saves\save.bin" it turns out to be "G:udksavessave.bin"

inside of s, so I get a file called "udksavessave.bin" in g:

Those anyone know what is causing this "bugg"(if it is)?
                    Having the string "g:\udk\saves\save.bin" directly inside of BasicSaveObject does have the same effect.

Comment

c-like languages all escape \, use \\ ... however, you probably shouldn't hard code absolute path names, what if someone installs your game to g:\games\ ?

Also make sure that users can't enter any filenames that will be used unless you sanitize them thoroughly to remove all .. and \

Comment

Hello guys, I am really sorry to revive this old thread, but I thought it would be better to post here than to open another thread to ask about this.
                        I am trying to use relative paths for my savegame using this basicsaveobject method. I had the same problem as Spectar but thanks to you, Blade, I saw I needed to use \\ instead of \. However I am wondering if there's a way to set the save path outside the UDK directory, but without using absolute paths. For example, what if I wanted my saves to be stored in "\current user\my documents" path? I tried the %userprofile% (%userprofile%\\my documents\\) wildcard but it doesn't seem to work because the directory doesn't show up.

Any help is more than welcome.

Comment

Working...
                        X