Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is UDK's loading screen's dynamic text coded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is UDK's loading screen's dynamic text coded?

When UDK loads up a map, it loads up a BINK video during the loading process. The BINK video will show the map's name and a tip. How do I change the text? And how do I do the same thing if I'm loading in my own loading screen?

And how do I define what videos to use in the config if I want a different loading screen for each map (the config file only has space for 1 loading screen)?

On a side note, what does ProcessTouch (in Projectile class) do?

All the menu's and loading screens are Flash movie handled using scaleform.

So You will need Flash, and learn how to use SF to do what you asked.

Comment

The loading screen is not made with flash. It is just a video, there are some ini files that you can edit to change the text, i forgot where it was.

Comment

The text is called in UTGameViewportClient.uc

Comment

Loading screen

Any transition from one map to another causes a loading screen to be displayed. The loading screen is actually a fullscreen video (.bik) chosen at random from the LoadMapMovies array specified in the FullScreenMovie] section of the DefaultEngine.ini file.

[FullScreenMovie]
          +LoadMapMovies=UDKFrontEnd.udk_loading

Comment

Originally posted by KongWeezY View Post
            Loading screen

Any transition from one map to another causes a loading screen to be displayed. The loading screen is actually a fullscreen video (.bik) chosen at random from the LoadMapMovies array specified in the FullScreenMovie] section of the DefaultEngine.ini file.

[FullScreenMovie]
            +LoadMapMovies=UDKFrontEnd.udk_loading
            So there is no way for me to have a specific loading screen for a specific map?

Comment

You might be able to remove all the loading movies, and setup a scaleform movie to persist between levels, and bring it up bfore the load, and cancel it when hte gameinfo loads.. although i''m not sure if that's even possible.. and i don't have code available to look at how. I know for sure that the scaleform would not actually do anything, but you might be able to get a static screen out of it.

Comment

I don't know about getting map-specific movies to play, but if you remove all the LoadingMapMovies from the .ini file(s) then you can create a new GameViewportClient class and use the DrawTransition() function to draw anything you want using the Canvas. UTGameViewportClient's DrawTransition() shows how to get the map name so you would know which map was loading and can determine what to draw. You would need to make sure to specify your new GameViewportClient as the one to use in the DefaultEngine.ini file as well.

Comment

oh, neat! i didn't know that Canvas was still available at that time. Guess I never looked at it close enough.

Comment

Bump.

I'm using my own loading screen .bik video. Everything is working fine, I even removed these hints at loading screen (delete 3-4 lines at UTGameViewportClient) but the name of the map still appears. How can I hide the map too? Is there any line at UTGameViewportClient that is responsible for displaying map names?

Comment

Originally posted by Tetsuya View Post
                      Bump.

I'm using my own loading screen .bik video. Everything is working fine, I even removed these hints at loading screen (delete 3-4 lines at UTGameViewportClient) but the name of the map still appears. How can I hide the map too? Is there any line at UTGameViewportClient that is responsible for displaying map names?
                      should be:
                      class'Engine'.static.AddOverlay(LoadingScreenMapNa meFont, MapName, 0.1822, 0.46, 2.0, 2.0, false);
                      Line 150

Comment

Working...
                      X