Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Mastering UnrealScript Baptism By Fire In UDK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastering UnrealScript Baptism By Fire In UDK

Hey folks!

For all that did not manage to set the tutorial up in the UDK (as it is meant for UT3):

1.)
    Delete the ..."YOUR UDK FOLDER"\Development\Src\MyMod folder.

2.)
    Put the 2 .uc files (UTMutator_SuperRegen.uc & UTPawn_SuperRegen.uc) into the ..."YOUR UDK FOLDER"\Development\Src\MasteringUnrealScript\Clas ses folder. (Create folders MasteringUnrealScript and in it Classes, if needed)

3.)
    Open DefaultEditor.ini in ..."YOUR UDK FOLDER\UTGame\Config
    and under [ModPackages], change the lines to this:

ModPackagesInPath=..\..\Development\Src
    ModOutputDir=..\..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Scr ipt
    ModPackages=MasteringUnrealScript

Save and close the .ini file.

4.)
    Open DefaultEngine.ini in the same folder and under [UnrealEd.EditorEngine]

Change this line:
    ;ModEditPackages=MyMod

into:
    ModEditPackages=MasteringUnrealScript (also delete the ";", so it doesnt get commented out)

5.)
    Delete the UTEditor.ini and the UTEngine.ini file in the config folder, so they will be rebuild with your changes.

6.)
    In the same folder, create this .ini file:

UTMasteringUnrealScript.ini

Open it up and add the following code for example:

[UTMutator_SuperRegen UTUIDataProvider_Mutator]
    ClassName=MasteringUnrealScript.UTMutator_SuperReg en
    FriendlyName=Health Mutator
    Description=This is my Health Mutator!

7.)
    Run UnrealFrontend and Make Full Recompile.

8.)
    Run UDK.exe, pick your mutator and start game!

(If you cant save the .ini files, then you have to turn off Read-Only in their properties.)

Thanks for doing this!

Comment

Thanks, it worked great. I retyped the original instructions with this in mind. I tried using the UDK*.ini files instead of the Default*.ini files and it worked great, but then I went on to the Mastering Unreal UnrealScript Classes page and the tutorials resulted in some crashes.

1. The first step in the compiling process is to add the MasteringUnrealScript package to the list of ModPackages in the UDKEditor.ini file. Without performing this step, the compiler will not know to look for our new scripts and they will not be compiled.

Navigate to the following directory:

..\UDKGame\Config

2. Locate the DefaultEditorUDK.ini file and open it in Notepad or some other text editor so that it can be edited.

3. Find the section of the .ini file with the [ModPackages] heading. A simple way to find this section is to search the file for ModPackages.

3a. change the line

change ModPackagesInPath=..\..\UDKGame\Src
      to ModPackagesInPath=..\..\Development\Src

4. Place the cursor at the end of the following line and press Enter.

ModOutputDir=..\UDKGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Scrip t

5. Add this line to add the MasteringUnrealScript package to the list of packages to be compiled.

ModPackages=MasteringUnrealScript

6. Save the DefaultEditorUDK.ini file and close it.

6a. Open DefaultEngineUDK.ini in the same folder and under [UnrealEd.EditorEngine]

change the line ;ModEditPackages=MyMod to

ModEditPackages=MasteringUnrealScript

6b. In the same folder, create this .ini file:

UTMasteringUnrealScript.ini

Open it up and add the following code:

[UTMutator_SuperRegen UTUIDataProvider_Mutator]
      ClassName=MasteringUnrealScript.UTMutator_SuperReg en
      FriendlyName=Health Mutator
      Description=This is my Health Mutator!

6c. Delete all the UDK*.ini files

7. As was mentioned in the previous chapter, there are several ways to run the compiler, or the Make commandlet to be more precise. Throughout the remainder of the book you will simply be instructed to compile scripts and it will be up to you to decide how to go about that. For now, choose one of the following:

* If you set up ConTEXT according to the instruction in Appendix B, you can simply press F9 within ConTEXT to begin the compiling process.
      * If you have created a shortcut to the UDK.exe with the make switch, run that now.
      * Run the game or editor and choose to compile the scripts when prompted.
      * Navigate to the Binaries directory of your UDK installation and run the following command: UDK.exe make

8. Assuming there were no errors, the compiling process should complete successfully and result in the creation of the MasteringUnrealScript.u file within the ..\UDKGame\Unpulished\CookedPC\Script directory.

9. Skip the publishing steps and just run the game.

Comment

That's a lot of steps for a tutorial.

Comment

Alot of the steps above you're doing just 1 simple thing. But this is not evident if you're not familiar with Unreal.

Again, this is the "Baptism By Fire". If you can walk out it somewhat unscathed, you're doing pretty good!

Comment

Originally posted by toxicFork View Post
            That's a lot of steps for a tutorial.
            And that's only the compiling step, but once you've gone through the steps for setting up the compile you only do the last step for any future changes. Just in case it's not clear the original full tutorial is here:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Maste...ismByFire.html

Comment

wow. great.

Now I can show the mutator in my game for your help.

Thank you for your idea!!

Comment

Extremely grateful for this tutorial. Thanks

Comment

I wait UDN release the Mastering UnrealScript session 1 , 4 , 5 , 7 , 8 , 10 .

thank , now I can show the mutator in my game , but ... not yet persecond regen the health 10 point. the health no any regen. why ? the mutator superregen is nothing. I already copy the UDN tutorial Uscript to UTMutator_SuperRegen.uc & UTPawn_SuperRegen.uc , so the uscript code is right , but not yet persecond regen the health 10 point.

ok , I already finish this .

Comment

Mod Query

Hi I'm using UDK Jan 2011. I've followed the tutorial as instructed and the .u has been compiled in the designated area but when I run the editor the Regen does not work. So instead I removed it as a mod to simply completely over ride the original uscript yet that does not work. Any advice? I am create a game that when the player exits the water their health will regenerate.
                    PS
                    When told to find the IsInPain() in the code I was unable to find this function?

Comment

Working...
                    X