Multiplayer with UDK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiplayer with UDK

So after some reports of people not getting this to work I tried it myself to see if I could get it to work, and I managed to get this to work just fine.

After turning off firewalls and other packet blocking applications, we started up the UDK and went into the multiplayer menu. It appears that the multiplayer menu picks up LAN matches fine. We tried connecting through the multiplayer menu but that didn't seem to work. We then tried connecting through the console using "open <ip address>" and it connected just fine.

So possible reasons why people can't get this to work is that perhaps there is a minor issue with the multiplayer menu. People had firewalls on or had modified their UDK copies by running the editor and then messing around with things.

So, all I can say is, is that it works.

A tutorial for this could help allot of people...

Comment

Uh, ok.

1) Install UDK and do not open the Editor
      2) Turn off your firewalls
      3) Start UDK

4) Start a server on one of the machines

4) On the other machine, Press ~ in the main menu
      5) Enter in "open <ip-address>" with the servers ip address in it

Comment

now do a VTM

Comment

And an interpretive dance!

Comment

My bad, I've read the first post wrong

Comment

how the multiplayer menu program to do it? Write uc? Write ini?

Comment

Interestingly enough, I had an instance where one person hosted and I joined their game through the server list and it work just "fine" the only issue I noticed which could have been a number of things - LAG. (I'm thinking his computer since its a bit slower just running the game anyway)

Comment

hi guys

just noticed that this is a simular thread to my problem.

using this method allows a client to connect to a host in running lan game mode. as such nothing on the hosts side ever tells the router to do the upnp magic to map the incoming ports.

anyone think its odd that it will not allow the server to be internet game mode?

the big question is does any know what ports need mapping to get this to work through a router. googling this gets confusing results, apparenlty the issue of a hosting in general with ut3 is a mare.

any help?

thanks

Comment

Yes a clear list of the ports UDK needs, or even where we could set our own ports would be very helpful. I succesfully cooked 8 maps, and could run them locally, but could not figure out (yet ) what ports to open for another to connect to the game.

Comment

An obvious first step is to go to http://www.portforward.com and open the ports for UT3.

Comment

Originally posted by Solid Snake View Post
                        Uh, ok.

1) Install UDK and do not open the Editor
                        2) Turn off your firewalls
                        3) Start UDK

4) Start a server on one of the machines

4) On the other machine, Press ~ in the main menu
                        5) Enter in "open <ip-address>" with the servers ip address in it
                        Who can help me ,how to do the start a server on one machines?

the 5th step I can do,but the 4th step.

Comment

Im also having the same issue, I can get the game to work over LAN, but not over the internet, So like the others say a list of ports would be nice. Also when you package the client up, is there anywhere, where you can specify an IP address, so that on running the client, it logs straight into the server specified?

Comment

morpheus2010, in order to create a server you need to go to C:\UDK\UDK-2009-11\Binaries and run "UnrealFrontend", once the app is open browse for the map you wish to host under where it says "map to play", then for server type either choose listen or dedicated, a listen server is where you host and play on the same machine, where as a dedicated has no GUI and is only for hosting the game. you will also need to select the amount of clients you wish to package to give to the players you want to join your server. After you have done that press the "launch button in the top left hand corner to run the server, then press the cook tab at the top, and then package game. Once all thats done you just need to work out what ports to open to allow others to connect to you, and of course give those connecting, the package .

Comment

Originally posted by ridders View Post
                              morpheus2010, in order to create a server you need to go to C:\UDK\UDK-2009-11\Binaries and run "UnrealFrontend", once the app is open browse for the map you wish to host under where it says "map to play", then for server type either choose listen or dedicated, a listen server is where you host and play on the same machine, where as a dedicated has no GUI and is only for hosting the game. you will also need to select the amount of clients you wish to package to give to the players you want to join your server. After you have done that press the "launch button in the top left hand corner to run the server, then press the cook tab at the top, and then package game. Once all thats done you just need to work out what ports to open to allow others to connect to you, and of course give those connecting, the package .
                              Oh,thank you very much,I never open the Unrea frontend,sorry for that.

thank you for helping me!!

Comment

Working...
                              X