Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Still no mesh collider support! Shame on you Epic!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still no mesh collider support! Shame on you Epic!

Hi all,
    One important reason why I choose different engine for my last project was inability of UDK to handle concave colliders and pain in the ass it causes. If you have a complex interior scene with lot of stairs, slopes, pits etc. creating UCX_ boxes, re-positioning them, aligning with scene object, scaling, re-positioning again, typing names and such is the most sarcastic mockery, I can imagine. Not only you have to recreate detailed geometry with primitives, which resembles building a house with matchboxes, but also try to not overlap collision primitives.
    I was hoping, during almost one year, Epic could be able to add concave collision support, which is no problem even with dated Gamebryo engine, or even better - add mesh collider support, like in Unity. But, everything is as it was one year ago - create damned boxes, name them etc. What a waste of time!
    Shame on you Epic! It is really shame for modern engine to be unable process concave colliders.

Sounds to me like you're trying to import whole scenes, or at least large parts of them as single meshes, which really isn't ideal workflow in Unreal.

Comment

Of course, I am trying to import a whole scene - static part, of course. But this is all the same - 2 boxes for each star step and then combine in editor - really big pain.
      Or suppose,you have a deepening in wall, or floor and this deepening has complex form, something made with bezier curves - making colliders for it, that's the challenge! Meanwhile, you can import a mesh in Unity, check "mesh collider" checkbox and voila! Happy Unity developers!
      Even more, if damn thing supported concave colliders, one could duplicate mesh, reduce vertex count with some modifier ad automatically generate less complex collider mesh. You can do this for Gamebryo, but not for UDK - here you are supposed to do everything in hard way.

Comment

UDK supports mesh collider.

Comment

ikifenix
          Originally posted by ikifenix View Post
          UDK supports mesh collider.
          Could you reveal more details, please? There is not a word about mesh colliders in documentation.

Comment

In mesh editor (double click on mesh from content browser), remove any collision you made and uncheck "Use simple box collision".

Now you must say UDK is awesome

Comment

ikifenix ,
              Really awesome.Thank you very much!

Comment

Originally posted by Makumba666 View Post
                ikifenix ,
                Really awesome.Thank you very much!
                Yea I found out about this recently too. Imagine how ridiculously impossible it would've been to set up "collision boxes" for my complex cave system, where there are NO flat edges to be seen. You'd have to make around 700 boxes for each cave segment, but luckily...

Comment

This is very useful option,but i just want to know how much expensive is this in terms of optimization?It probably depends on model complexity or ?

Comment

Working...
                  X