X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

June 2011 UDK - Instant crash when lightmapping landscape

The title says it all.

I'm using June 2011 UDK (64 bits, DX9)

Whenever I create a 1009x1009 Landscape, UDK crashes at "gathering scene and invalidating lighting" when starting a lighting build.

This happens even on a new level.

509x509 Landscapes work though.

Any ideas ?

Oh well!; you are not alone my friend. I have the same issue "gathering scene and invalidating lighting". I don't understand or know why this is happening. I thought may be my install corrupt somehow, now I am sure it's something else. We just have to wait for a fix I suppose.

Comment

By the way, I don't think memory is an issue. I have 6 gig, and I could lightmap 2017x2017 Landscapes in previous versions of UDK (April I think).

Comment

No!,not the memory because I have more than double the size of your memory. Win7 64bit.

Comment

Use the 32bit UDK.exe and it will work. Seems to be a bug in the 64bit UDK.exe

Comment

wow really? 32bit and i can render my landscape, I almost tried that but didn't. You just made my day. I will update later if this worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by FlynT View Post
              Use the 32bit UDK.exe and it will work. Seems to be a bug in the 64bit UDK.exe

Well thanks for the tip. It will be nice if you can explain the steps for us noobs!.

Comment

Originally posted by UDKKutigi77 View Post
                Well thanks for the tip. It will be nice if you can explain the steps for us noobs!.
                To do this I just edited the shortcut I use to launch the editor..
                instead of binaries\udklist.exe editor
                I put
                binaries\win32\udk.exe editor

Idk if not using udklift will break anything.

UPDATE:

Seems to work fine now. Got past the invalidate lighting without crashing and now its doing its swarm thing.
                It looks like this is going to take awhile.

UPDATE #2:
                After 15 minutes running lightmass on my Phenom Triple Core w/4GB Ram + GTS250, crashed light build failed, log of swarm shows what looks like out of memory error:
                Code:
                11:03:18 PM: Exception handled in main, crash report generated, re-throwing exception
                11:03:18 PM: Exception handled in main, calling appHandleCriticalError
                11:03:18 PM: === Critical error: ===
                11:03:18 PM: 
                11:03:18 PM: Assertion failed: NewPtr || Size==0 [File:.\LightmassCore\Src\LMMemory.cpp] [Line: 98]
                11:03:18 PM: OUT OF MEMORY:  Realloc:   4118675456 bytes (     3927.88MB)  requested,   8383245.00 of   8388608.00 MB of virtual memory free,        44.34 of      4094.49 MB of physical memory free,      1132.86 of      9192.90 MB of page file freeRaiseException() Address = 0xfdccaa7d (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll]
                11:03:18 PM: CxxThrowException() Address = 0x67bc51c6 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_08e1a05ba83fe554\MSVCR90.dll]
                This is with fresh June install, started new Day Template map, created new landscape, fiddled with the landscape a little few hills here and there, then tried to build.

Comment

@ neurosys:

Thanks for the feedback. Basically the approach:
                  "Use the 32bit UDK.exe and it will work. Seems to be a bug in the 64bit UDK.exe" might work for some users....Hmmm!. We should wait for the fix and for the time being go back to "April or May releases.

Comment

Thanks @FlynT for the 32-bit trick.
                    I'll have a look at this myself, as I was running into some lighting build issues last night

Originally posted by neurosys View Post
                    Seems to work fine now. Got past the invalidate lighting without crashing and now its doing its swarm thing.
                    It looks like this is going to take awhile.

UPDATE #2:
                    After 15 minutes running lightmass on my Phenom Triple Core w/4GB Ram + GTS250, crashed light build failed, log of swarm shows what looks like out of memory error:
                    Code:
                    11:03:18 PM: Exception handled in main, crash report generated, re-throwing exception
                    11:03:18 PM: Exception handled in main, calling appHandleCriticalError
                    11:03:18 PM: === Critical error: ===
                    11:03:18 PM: Assertion failed: NewPtr || Size==0 [File:.\LightmassCore\Src\LMMemory.cpp] [Line: 98]
                    11:03:18 PM: OUT OF MEMORY:  Realloc:   4118675456 bytes (     3927.88MB)  requested,   8383245.00 of   8388608.00 MB of virtual memory free,        44.34 of      4094.49 MB of physical memory free,      1132.86 of      9192.90 MB of page file freeRaiseException() Address = 0xfdccaa7d (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll]
                    11:03:18 PM: CxxThrowException() Address = 0x67bc51c6 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729.4926_none_08e1a05ba83fe554\MSVCR90.dll]
                    This is with fresh June install, started new Day Template map, created new landscape, fiddled with the landscape a little few hills here and there, then tried to build.
                    That's a problem with you not having enough memory to build the lighting with your current setup.
                    What it basically means is that your total lightmap size for all objects takes up more space than what your PC's RAM can handle.
                    Try going around your scene and reducing the lightmap resolution on objects.

I got so annoyed with this that I solved the issue myself by buying 16GB of RAM

Comment

Working...
                    X