Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actor "TickFrequency" not really doing anything.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actor "TickFrequency" not really doing anything.

Hi,

despite what "TickFrequency" comments state i cant get Tick() to change its default behavior of ticking every frame.
    Is this a bug or just a outdated variable?

Thx Andy

I think there's an ini file setting that has to be set to use that , if it's still even functional.. not sure if there's any good reason to use this, though.

Comment

Ah thx,

obviously the "good reason" would be to do something not every frame? Most AI related tasks and test don't profit from being executed every frame, even worse they tend to produce high frequent "AiJittering" which than has to be smoothed out by special logic. It also makes it sometimes easier to emulate natural jittering and reaction times.
      The other application is to reduce or raise the ticktime depending on the state of the object, so if u do something movement, animation related u want a high or per frame tick, but if u just wait or do some tests a lower ticktime is also fine.
      Ofc depending on the tick, u might save performance if u don't need per frame checks, but thats not the main reason for me here atm.

Its not a big deal since i already have a custom AiTick, that simply emulates this behavior, but i recently had a application for this in a system that's not Ai related.

Thx Andy

Comment

I think I read somewhere that TickFrequency is deprecated. Why don't you use timers instead?

Comment

Right, I mean, I understand what it's purpose is but i think it actually doesn't just change the rate of the Tick() event being called, but actually the rate of the actor being ticked .. so like.. everything that the actor does on a frame by frame basis would change.
          I think. I've not really tested it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Blade[UG] View Post
            Right, I mean, I understand what it's purpose is but i think it actually doesn't just change the rate of the Tick() event being called, but actually the rate of the actor being ticked .. so like.. everything that the actor does on a frame by frame basis would change.
            I think. I've not really tested it out.
            Yeah, i played around with this and some weird things happens, now i simply route a call to a custom TickLogic() call, that does the simple deltatime filtering. I can than put lowFrequency logic inside this TickLogic(), while keeping high frequency updates in Tick().

@MVGS Because overriding a single function, compared to managing and overriding timer functions is much easier and error resistant.

Thx Andy

Comment

Working...
            X