Cooked/Packaged Dedicated Server Hangs on ServerTravel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked/Packaged Dedicated Server Hangs on ServerTravel

I created an installation package using UnrealFrontend. When the game is run using the server commandlet, the open command works, but any attempt to change map (whether via round end or via adminchangemap) will hang the server. The log window for the server will remain responsive, but it will not respond to Control+C. Closing it via the X in the window works, though.

As far as I can tell, the related commands all call WorldInfo.ServerTravel. The script portion seems to be executed correctly, but there must be some call into native code somewhere, because all the function seems to do is set a couple of string vars. I've traced it via `log messages, and the script portion seems to execute successfully. Clients all make travel correctly, but timeout when they try to reconnect to the server and drop to the main menu.

This behavior occurs whether or not I use seamless travel. The only difference is that I get a bunch of extra log messages of the server denying client reconnect requests before it hangs if I disable seamless travel.

I've tried running this on my machine, on a friend's machine, and on several VMs. All exhibit the same symptoms.

I'm running March 2011 (2nd). The only info I could find via search was this thread, and they don't seem to have solved the problem either.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

It happens no matter what map I use.

It happens no matter what gamemode I use.

It happens even if I avoid using ServerTravel entirely and force it to use the "open" console command. In that case, I get a correct Browse log message, but it hangs before LoadMap.

Comment

Confirmed that this only occurs when running the ServerCommandlet. Listen servers are unaffected.

Confirmed that this issue occurs with stock UDK March 2011 (2nd edition). I'm going to roll back and see if I can find a build of UDK without the issue.

Comment

I've had this issue since the september build. You may have better luck with earlier builds.

Comment

Could somebody from epic confirm if you're looking into this, or if you just didn't found the time for it yet?

That would be enough, we're patience.

Some feedback from epic would just be very, very appreciated, as it would keep my hopes and motivation on the project I'm working on very high.

Regarding the tests, I think I've tried on about 5/6 different "computer combos", including virtual machines, and in all of them this issue occurred.

Comment

We'll have someone look at this thread.

Comment

Thanks! I've confirmed that it dates back to at least January 2011.

Comment

Any news on this? Has it been looked at?

Comment

Quick confirmation that when the host wins, it restarts, but it crashes after that.

Comment

The host doesn't win or lose, since it's a dedicated server.

Or are you saying you have a dedicated server and 1 client (call it A) on one machine, and the rest of the clients on other machines, and it's crashes when that client A wins?!

Comment

What happens is, I host a small test server on my home computer for us to use for bug testing and just toying around, find what fits best. When I, the person running the server, lose, the server crashes automatically after the round ends. If I, the person running the server, wins, the server restarts, then crashes.

So I'm the host, and it's running off the same folder I'm using to play the game on. Not really practical, but since the vmware/virtual box option failed me, I had no other choice unless I wanted to setup a separate partition.

Comment

Has anyone here actually been able to use a recent UDK build to run a cooked server that doesn't hang on round restart? If so, what hardware are you running?

Comment

ScriptLog: ProcessServerTravel: ?Restart
                          Log: SeamlessTravel to: TestMap

then a server lockup here.

Comment

additional info: happens without regard to Steam.. also the server process locks up, and is stuck in process list, sucking up an entire core of cpu.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for letting us know about the dedicated server issue you're running into, we're taking a look at this and will hopefully have a fix in soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X