Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decal not tiling correctly, why?

Why isn't the decal repeating?

It's a DecalMaterial with diffuse, oppacity mask and normal maps.

By the way, applying a TexCoord to the opacity masks's TextureSample also causes the result not to tile (in the material editor).

So it is impossible to tile textures (materials) that have opacity masks? Any workaround?

I tried other decals, and they tiled alright... but they had no opacity mask.

Comment

Eh, I know this thread is old, but anyone got any clue? Is this really an UDK bug or am I doing something wrong?

PS: Even DecalMaterials without opacity masks won't tile (I made a simple decal material with only diffuse, spec and spec power, and it won't tile).

Comment

Well, your screenshot shows that you are tiling X 8 times. That would explain why it is all shrunk horizontally. Set it to 1 and see. Just guessing based on your image.

Comment

Yep, I am trying to *tile* it 8 times, i.e. I want the decal to repeat itself 8 times on X. But it just shrinks, no tiling (repeating).

Comment

Aha! That helps you'll need to make sure the texture you have imported is set to wrap on the u direction. You can find that by double clicking on your texture and at the top are drop downs for wrapping or not wrapping. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your reply

You meant the settings Address X and Y on the texture dialog? They are set to wrap by default. I tried creating a new, simple decal material and checking the option you mentioned, but still no tiling (see image).

Any other ideas?

Comment

set your decal tiling 1 but tile your material's texture instead?

Comment

What Chosker sad wid would have been my next guess. That should work......though I can't understand why you want to tile the same thing 8 times in a row. It will look really repetitive.

Comment

Erm...

I think that was already attempted.
                    Originally posted by Pinheiro View Post
                    By the way, applying a TexCoord to the opacity masks's TextureSample also causes the result not to tile (in the material editor).

Comment

you mean tiling in the material? because while I can't get tiling to work on the decal itself, I've successfully made it tile on the material

Comment

Originally posted by Chosker View Post
                        set your decal tiling 1 but tile your material's texture instead?
                        Aha! That solves the problem. I should have thought about that. Thanks!

though I can't understand why you want to tile the same thing 8 times in a row. It will look really repetitive.
                        It's not for that material (that was just for testing), I actually want repeating decals to create a road on another scenario I'm working on.

Also, I wanted to use DecalMaterials on a modern house scenario to add details to the floor (ie. a different floor material over another).

Of course, I'll need one DecalMaterial for each n tiling I'll need, but it's better than duplicating DecalMaterials, like 50x as I was on the scenario with road (I had made Prefabs for that... still, it was horrible).

So, if anyone still has an idea about why it won't tile on the DecalActor settings, please share.

Thanks all for the replies

Comment

Originally posted by Wyldhunt View Post
                          Erm...

I think that was already attempted.
                          Nope, I hadn't tried that, in that case, I had tried simply a TexCoord with X and Y = 1. That's because I think saw somewhere you had to do that in order for decals to tile, don't remember exactly why.

Comment

I wouldn't suggest decals for use to add different materials over another. Decals add up real fast and can affect performance and drastically increase overdraw. You would be better off creating a material that has the ability to do your "overlay textures" to add detail. It will be much easier to manage, and will run better.

Comment

Also, my guess about decals is that they were never designed to tile and they simply use 0 1 UV space and ignore any changes made.

Comment

Working...
                              X