How to create Snow / Rain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create Snow / Rain

Has anyone put together some snow or rain in udk yet? I loaded the UT3 Package UN_Weather and tried to use the Rain Cube but it seems the Sprite Emitters are different in udk.

Haven't found any useful ut3 or udk tutorials on making simple snow yet but how would you go about it the udk? Should I try to copy the leaf particle effects and replace the material?

I know that in UT3 and in Gears 2 they made sheets of snow/rain and just applied materials to them that moved downward. That's how they usually do it, at least. You could potentially do it with a particle emitter, but it'd be more hardware intensive.

Comment

Got a tutorial to do this? I'm interested too.

Want to write one?

Comment

what eo you mean by sheet ? screen ?

Comment

I guess it's just several planes that sit in front of the player camera with an animated texture of snow falling?

Comment

What I meant was sheet, yes. I just checked some UT3 maps, though, and they used an actual mesh with the materials on them. The mesh simply had multiple planes crisscrossing and the materials were double-sided. Take a look and see what you think. I'll try to make a quick tutorial in a few minutes here.

Comment

I only have the maps that come with UDK, not unreal itself, because I don't own the game. Is there a map available to me with snow in it? Or rain?

Comment

Well, I'm uploading a quick tutorial to YouTube right now. I'll post a link tomorrow, but for now I have to go to bed while it uploads (curse you slow upload speeds!).

@Virtuality
                I briefly discuss it in the tutorial, but you can make a simple rain/snow texture in any 2d editing program, import it into UDK, and make a material of it. Add a planner to make it move at the desired speed, and a TexCoord if needed to tile the texture.

I hope this helps.

Comment

cheers (msg too short, la la la, blah blah blah)

Comment

Originally posted by Virtuality View Post
                    cheers (msg too short, la la la, blah blah blah)
                    lolz. OK, here's the tutorial for anyone who hasn't figured it out yet

Comment

I kinda miss the snow/rain system from UT2004, with the particle emitter bound to the player's camera location and "no weather" volumes that would kill the snow for indoor areas. I'm thinking about re-creating it...

Comment

It's easy enough to recreate - I used a similar system to create water ripple trails in UT3.

Comment

Ah, thanks for making that tutorial, it makes sense, but could you be so kind as to make one for how to create the texture? lol. Starting with photoshop to create it, then making the texture in UDK?

I'm very new to this, very very new!

Comment

Didn't realize how easy it was, i'm sure alot will find it useful ty again

The material- I believe you can replace the grey or rain with a simple pic of a black background with a small ball in the middle (with a white gradient fill) for snow?
                            Not sure if you need photoshop for rain though..

Comment

yeah, you could do something like that. Every snow flake will look the same unless you add some variety, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X