Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

Dynamic, Arbitrary Geometry Control?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynamic, Arbitrary Geometry Control?

I'm trying to find out how much control over geometry I can get with the newly free UDK. I know that terrain can be deformed dynamically, but I want to go a little further than that.

Ideally I want to write code to do most or all of the following at runtime:
    • subdivide a polygon
    • move vertices arbitrarily (not based on animation or height map)
    • have good physics interactions involving those vertices
    • create geometry from scratch

As a bonus, I would also like to use volumetric texturing.

Can anybody give me a good estimate of how much of this is feasible to integrate with the unreal engine? Thanks!

Fine geometry control like this is not possible with the UDK as far as I know.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, though I'm still going to look through the code to prove it to myself unless somebody can say more definitively.

Comment

You need not to find the old control pannel,like vertice,and other.
        only near the lin or vertice to choose it.

Yet I don't know how to extrude.

Comment

Originally posted by morpheus2010 View Post
          You need not to find the old control pannel,like vertice,and other.
          only near the lin or vertice to choose it.

Yet I don't know how to extrude.
          He means in the game, not in the editor.

Comment

Yep. Also, if anybody is aware of a different game engine that can do what I want, I'd love to hear about it.

Comment

Well, the engine I wrote could do that sort of stuff ... but it's not nearly as good as UE3

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                He means in the game, not in the editor.
                Oh,that will free for downloads?

What a wonderful thing I can't image.

Comment

May one please summarize, what is actually possible regarding modification of geometry information (e.g., translating vertices)?

Bye

Comment

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UsingBspBrushes.html and http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Getti...metryMode.html should give you a good start as to what's possible to do with bsp geometry in the UDK.

Comment

Thanks. Let me add: "...at runtime with UnrealScript" to the question.

Comment

The answer to that would be "Nothing".

Comment

Unfortunately weephun, the original poster wanted to do this at run time. Other than various means to perhaps poke terrain back in Unreal Tournament 2004, I don't believe there is any real means of doing that since Unreal Engine hides that sort of detail away from the developers (i.e, you're not responsible for the management of vertex and face data).

Comment

Damn. Is there no possibility to inject vertex shaders somehow? I need to implement some "partial zoom effect" so that a small passage would be bigger and passable in some area.

Well, need to look for another environment than UDK then.

Edit: What about this?

Comment

Unfortunately WorldPosOffset can't use texture data and doesn't modify collision.

Comment

Working...
                              X