Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, i'm in this site https://sites.google.com/site/ut40km.../udk-tutorials and NONE of the links are working there's no other good tutorials i can find on google at the moment; please help

Comment

i know , it looks like Fileplanet has cancelled all hosting. please goto my youtube channel as they are all there plus more

http://www.youtube.com/user/ut40kgeodav?feature=mhee

@snipe34, the FPA tutorials are up on my channel, i haven't done much with the animtree as i use the UDK version but i did show a little in my walker video's , i think the main problem with the animtree stuff is the node names, as it's sometime hard to work out what you need due to the way the nodes are named.

if your really stuck then let me know and i'll see what i can do

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
        i know , it looks like Fileplanet has cancelled all hosting. please goto my youtube channel as they are all there plus more

http://www.youtube.com/user/ut40kgeodav?feature=mhee

@snipe34, the FPA tutorials are up on my channel, i haven't done much with the animtree as i use the UDK version but i did show a little in my walker video's , i think the main problem with the animtree stuff is the node names, as it's sometime hard to work out what you need due to the way the nodes are named.

if your really stuck then let me know and i'll see what i can do
        Thanks Dav!

Log: Large/Invalid InRightTrackVel! -10020.916992 (in ChallengerII_Content_0) - I'll have to get your code and redo to fix that error I think.

Which probably influences my question at hand, well statment I think. I tied the extra bone, no real difference. My tank is setup like your tut, Dav, from files that I downloaded. In the pic below Adjustments > Apply Rotation is unticked because if it's ticked I get the slew sideways problem with the barrel. Same problem with the MG Turret barrel.

Probably it's because I have two turrets, the cannon turret and the mg turret. Probably UDK code does not consider that, and probably 'if you want to get fancy, code it yourself,' which is fair enough. I say this because I've tried ticking the boxes in about every combo I can think of. The results being variations of barrel slew.

Driver seat 0
        Cannon seat 1
        MG seat 2

Barrel slew: Drive the tank and the barrel slews around left or right. But jump into the cannon turret/ MG turret and the barrel slowly aligns to where it should be, and stays there and subsequently and makes an effort to go up and down. Jump out and in again, and slew again.

Among the ticking unticking i tried MaxAngle MinAngle of the yaw/ roll to 1 and -1, thinking maybe there would minimal yaw of 1 or -1, which i could live with, but nope. So constrain Yaw/Roll ticked or unticked (the top options) make no difference. I tried constrained to different bones, to WorldSpace, ActorSpace, BrainSpace the results are just worse to bad.

Next, besides barrel slew, there's turret rotate (including with the MG turret). It will only rotates with the tank as it drives if "Reset When Unattended" is ticked. Otherwise the turrets rotate around as you drive.

My best result since I started posting on this thread -- the barrels must be fixed and the turrets must be reset when unattended, which is ****e, but I guess it will have to do until I get more learning, and patience.

Comment

i think i'll have to re-install UT3 to double check because your turret setup is the same as the goliath tank eg a mg turret on top of the main turret.

i'll get back to you asap

Comment

i think i'll have to re-install UT3 to double check because your turret setup is the same as the goliath tank eg a mg turret on top of the main turret.

i'll get back to you asap

just per chance i still had the package copied on my hd, i doubt it will help much but here we go

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

as you can see the"ResetWhenUnattended" is ticked but the add rotation is not , and the BoneRotationSpace is set to BCS_ActorSpace
            not sure what the "SkelControlSingleBone - TurretScale" is for i'll have to dig into the code maybe and hope its not native like the tracks were

you might be able to see the skeleton on the tank if that help

ok me again the TurretScale is found in the UTVehicle code, its to do with when it gets destroyed so you might what that as well

Comment

Hi GeoDav!

I looked at the UT3 Goliath and tried that rig, and tried that scaling plugin too. They have no 2nd bone between the chassis and the main turret, but I get the same results either way, bone or no bone.

I did suggest I can send you my rig if you want. Not to fix it for me which I doubt you can anyway but strictly fyi for your head so you will see a definite different problem because of my setup, below:-
              As I say it works except no barrel rotate up/down (unless I don't mind it slewing left/right, which I do mind!), and both turret rotates must be 'reset if unattended.'
              I think the only way to make it work is the code somehow, sadly neither your expertise nor mine. Take another look at the scorpion driving and the little rocket turret which rotates as the vehicle turns, the essence of the problem.

More specifically in the UT3 Goliath (and your tank) driver and turret operator are the same. My tank is driver seat / turret seat / mg turret seat. Theoretically then after the driver, my cannon turret becomes the equivalent of the ut3/udk mg turret, so subsequently my mg turret is right off the planet of udk/ut3 code. Meh, what a steaming pile of crêpe I've mixed.

If I fix it I'll report back here. Again GeoDav, thanks for your tuts and encouragement, it all helps!

Comment

its been a while but if you send me your package+code i promise to have a look and see if i can fix it, never worked on the Chally2 tank or Chally or Chiefy, ex B-Mech just 430's + CVRT's + Wheeled but thats another story.

its up to you i'll give it my best shot if you want

Comment

Originally posted by geodav View Post
                  its been a while but if you send me your package+code i promise to have a look and see if i can fix it, never worked on the Chally2 tank or Chally or Chiefy, ex B-Mech just 430's + CVRT's + Wheeled but thats another story.
                  its up to you i'll give it my best shot if you want
                  Thanks GeoDav, as I said I don't expect you to fix it because it's code stuff. You help a lot of people so I'm thinking the more info on variations will add more strings to your bow.

Comment

For blender users, I made a supplementary video on rigging and skinning (blender docs sort of missing this bit).
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvSFfPh2e3k

Ok enough lolly gagging, back to the regularily scheduled program...

Comment

I think various perspectives all help. Thanks!

Comment

@geodav, I've been trying to find the content for you LandWalker tutorial. I've looked all over and the site [https://sites.google.com/site/ut40km...udk-tutorials] is the only place I found that has a link, but it is broken. Is there anywhere I can still get the landwalker content?

Comment

sorry the rapidshare got deleted its now on gamefront
                          https://sites.google.com/site/ut40km.../udk-tutorials
                          http://www.gamefront.com/files/22336351/LandWalker_rar

have fun

ps if you change the code to use a wheeled vehicle it doesn't slide down the hills

Comment

Thanks! And thanks for the tip

Comment

Well, I've watched all the vehicle tutorials, however I have a problem with morph targets.
                              As you can see, there is some undesirable vert action going on.

Edit: I moved the video to the reporting issues area.
                              http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...arget-woes-psk

I tried March UDK as well.

Is it a skinning error? Unlikely. Even though it looks just like one. (I double checked in maya after an FBX export, note FBX export from blender still does not work due to armature node - it seems to crash UDK when trying to import the skeletal mesh, and comes up as invalid morph target if trying to bring in a morph)

I made a nothing changed morph, and nothing happened.

Is it a floating point error? Well, since rotation is usually handled in radians then converted to degrees (with some arcane formula involving pi) - there will be some. Since I modeled it normally then rotated it afterwards before binding, the verts not 'precisely symmetrical'. SO I went and cobbled a python script to run in blender - it doesn't rotate the object, it moves each vert one at a time. Great, it's super precise that way. And it did not solve this problem.

So... is there a problem with psk export from blender or UDK import (deprecated)? I can not find an updated or experimental version of the psk export script.

Or, is it possible the morph targets for vehicles rely on some sort of proximity - or is there some other factor involved? Like a poorly painted damage mask (which I figured only to affect textures/materials)?

Is it remotely feasible that there is something funky going on with the mesh? Like vert sort order, non manifold geometry, misaligned planets...

Possible 'solutions'
                              - FBX export of mesh and armature, then add the morphs in another package and export from that. I am likely to try this.
                              - redo the skeletal mesh and morphs in something other then blender - which would suck if the problem is still there.
                              - Since I once had a morph with only one stray vert, try smaller damage areas? - which is the kind of trial and error fun that makes hulk want to smash things.

Comment

long question short answer, skinning problem. you get the same sort of problems with other programs.

the problem i had with blender skinning is that i find it hard to see if some verts have weights for other bones

you can also try an older version of blender, with someone elses mesh it had errors with 2.63 but worked fine with 2.6

Comment

Working...
                                X