This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    what for !!! weapon/vehicle use as many bones as you need but don't go overboard.

for characters i use the UT3 rig

you need to add the sockets so that you can place the effects via code

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Geodav, I've just watched your 3DSmax tutorial for bones and animations but I have a question. Looking at the tutorial on UDK Central I need to setup sockets. Do I need more bones than what you created in your video? or does it not matter?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    OK, thanks. I think I'll try Inventor/SolidWorks and Blender combo
    (at least until I see what I can do about Max)
    Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The problem with AutoCAD, Inventor, SolidWorks and the like is that these programs are geared towards architectural or mechanical designs, not interactive media or graphic designs. This means you wont have much control over the polygons of your model, you can't rig them for animation, and you generally can't assign UV coordinates to them, either. If these are the packages you're most familiar with, you'll have find a way to export the model to a format that something like Blender, Cinema 4D, 3ds Max, Maya, Softimage, or Lightwave can read. Only then will you be able to skin and rig it for animation, UV map it for texturing, and export it to the UDK.

Blender is a very powerful, free tool and there are a lot of tutorials out there willing to teach you how to use it. Unfortunately, I can't get passed the interface. It was just too foreign.

That said, I felt the same way when I first opened 3ds Max. After taking a few courses on 3d Studio Max (oldschool 3ds Max), I became much more comfortable with it and have been able to keep up with most of the changes since then.

If your roommate knows Blender, I'd say go with that. It really helps to have someone to talk to when learning these applications.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i doubt that autocad or inventor will be good for game work, butblender is good as a free option, some schools/uni's can get you the students version of max but thats only for non-commersial work

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ya, my roommate recommended blender. My other friend said I could probably use Inventor.

I'm not ready yet to put money down on anything, so I'll do some research.

If anyone knows if Inventor works, let me know. I got it as part of an engineering bundle at school.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'd be flabbergasted if you could get AutoCAD to work for editing models intended for UDK. 3ds Max, on the other hand, includes various plugins (ActorX, for one) designed to make importing and editing models much easier.

Others have had luck with Blender, if you're looking for a free alternative.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Ok, thanks, I'll try that.
    and
    Will AutoCAD work for editing weapons, or should I try 3ds Max?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    ok i think you mean pan or rotate the material once its applied to the bsp mesh, once you've applied the material you can double click on the mesh face then appears the editor where you can pan/rotate/scale the material on the face

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm just now starting to learn how to use UDK.
    These videos help soo much.

Keep up the great work and thanks for all the info.

Two Question I have so far are:

What software do I need for all of this? I have UDK.
    and
    When creating a map, how do you move/rotate something that is has already been made.
    I can move/rotate when using the Build Brush, but once I add a material, how can I move it?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Moonsense View Post
    Hey geodav,

I've been trying to watch your tracked/tank setup videos here:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=595944
    Video1 works, but the rest of those series are not working. They relink me to
    http://www.filefront.com/error.php?e...ICKKEY_INVALID

Is there another host where I can download them from?
    Thanks.
    13 days passed, bumping!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Many thanks for that Geodav.

Excellent advice as usual.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    have seen that mentioned somewhere

found it i think http://utforums.epicgames.com/showth...ehicle+terrain

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for your reply, hopefully passed that point now. Will let you know as i go.

Different question, hopefully you can help. I want to create tunnels through the terrain, but everytime i do it i come across the same problem. I can walk through my tunnel but i cannot drive through it, its as though the terrain that was removed is still blocking vehicles.

Any ideas ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey geodav,

I've been trying to watch your tracked/tank setup videos here:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=595944
    Video1 works, but the rest of those series are not working. They relink me to
    http://www.filefront.com/error.php?e...ICKKEY_INVALID

Is there another host where I can download them from?
    Thanks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X