Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UDK/UT3 Video Tutorials List and Support Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• might be an idea to optimise and then sort out the materials

Comment

• First off, Thanks Geodav for your many, many tuts! And omg, I finally got to the end of this thread!

Challenger11 pictured was made using Blender; 2676 tris; 1024xtexture + separate tracks tex + viewport tex shaders. The images are of the tank in a utk4 mod, but I'll bring the beast into UDK, no doubt with the help of your tutorials Geodav - actually a link from your tank tut led me right back here (i may sound over confident, with 'bring the beast into UDK' so should add I have a couple of operational weapons already in UDK + custom meshes, wavy grass, particles, muzzle flashes etc etc - the tank bones may need modifying, but nps)

The problem, which may not be a problem in UDK. I've done searches seen UDK tanks in action but no mention of my problem, below:
      Some history: for ut2k4 pictured I used the hovertank code, also modified using some of Meowcat's code from his Yarm Mod. Meowcat's (humvee) code almost let me have 3 crew: driver; cannon and mg. So the tank has a driver and a separate cannon turret gunner. But the MG is the BIG problem.

The hovertank mg, utk4 is situated dead centre of the cannon turret, so no one notices - it's connected to the chassis bone, as was.
      The mg needs to be offset. Meaning, the mg needs to be connected to the cannon turret, so the offset mg will rotate with the cannon turret bone. And obviously also the mg itself can also rotate.

I didn't solve the problem in utk4. Even Meowcat said I'd need some hacky code to make it work. I'm learning code, ever hoping to raise myself to the level of hacky ^^ Not really expecting a solution but I'm hoping someone can suggest something, even some clues.

Challenger11 with driver - red beret beneath the cannon

Challenger11 firing - driver hidden in cannon

The separate mg already to place

Comment

• ok having done vehicles/tanks in UT2004/UT3/UDK i think i know a little about it, thing to remember with UT3/UDK is that the vehicle mesh is one piece, make sure your bones are linked correctly, in your case the yaw bone for the MG is the child of the turrets yaw bone, after that its the magic of the animtree controls.

as an example look at the UT3 Goliath tank, you can pick up a cheap (5-10$) copy of UT3

Comment

• Originally posted by geodav View Post
          ok having done vehicles/tanks in UT2004/UT3/UDK i think i know a little about it, thing to remember with UT3/UDK is that the vehicle mesh is one piece, make sure your bones are linked correctly, in your case the yaw bone for the MG is the child of the turrets yaw bone, after that its the magic of the animtree controls.

as an example look at the UT3 Goliath tank, you can pick up a cheap (5-10$) copy of UT3
          Thanks for taking the time to reply, and so quickly. I thought you were English, but I gave some links of your Blender tuts to a German guy and your origin was clarified Also seems I'll have to make a LeopardII mbt + German troops because there's so many German guys interested in the mod.

I have UT3, but not installed. New harddrive so I didn't bother yet. Although I was thinking I would like UT3 sniper code, and more vehicle code. Your meaning is: I can re-install UT3 and use that code as a basis?! woohoo!!
          Most wonderful of all, seems you're saying a machinegun placement on top of the Challenger - also later a LeopardII - will be no problem, excellent!

Although "one piece?" So unlike UTk4, which has a separate tank base / turret / mg. Instead for UDK, these must all be included in the same .psk? ... well yes, that's exactly what you said Ah yeah, I notice the UDK Scorpion bones to the gun: Main_Root > Gun_Base > Gun_Rotate. The Gun_Rotate position at the rear is definitely off-centre. Also I downloaded your file udk_tank_tutorial to have a look at anim trees, which although I made one already are still a little mystifying.

But mg turret soon fixed!!! The more learn about UDK the better I like it! Much appreciate your help Geodav!!
          --------------
          @2fast4u_dk I made a mesh with 11 material slots and I thought that was pushing it, but 47 omg Certainly as Geodav says 1 or 2 slot are expected, er, um, maybe even 11 xd
          But logically, larger texture areas would look much better and require less UV editing, matching the edges.
          Maybe you misunderstand the UV process? That is: sectioning off areas so the sectioned unwraps are placed on different areas of your UV texture. Not: each section must be a different texture entirely.
          I would only use a different texture for say headlights, tail lights - so they shine. Separate texture again for glass. But the rest of car texture would be a single texture. So if I made a car like yours it would only be 4 textures. Maybe only 2, if Glass, tail and headlights were on a single tex with the alpha modified to suit.
          Or even then, a single texture for the whole thing, again, divide up the alpha for lighting and glass.
          btw, your car has a realistic looking shape, nice work.

Comment

• just to let you know i'm Scottish but i've lived in Germany for over 20 odd years which is why you see german text some times when i copy/paste or do other things i use a german version of windows.

you don#t need to re-install UT3 just for the code you can download that from the UDN website http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3Mo...Source%20Files use the 1.5 version, though remember you shouldn't use that code in any commersial project

Comment

• Thanks, Geodav, I downloaded the source, and it's only for a mod.

Scots... my parents, but I'm Australian, living in the England. I think the German language sounds cool. I like Rammstein's growl in particular.

Anyway I reinstalled UT3 to look at the tank - ah be nice if the mod could use the darkwalker, damn, I like that vehicle

Comment

• Geo, I'd like to know if you wish to contribute any video of yours to http://UDK.me - I like your voice quality, video quality and overall style. What I would do is add a brief intro to your video of choice, which is preferably something that you think would add diversity or help the most people, the intro consists of our brand and "featured tutorial" and a linkback to your channel. Let me know if interested, and I'll handle the rest.

Comment

• Hi Henrik, you honour me greatly, i did see your thread but i doubted if my stuff was of suitable quality.
                  i think my most suitable video would be the first of my basics video show how to set up a project http://youtu.be/shTRb4BxyE0 but if you don't like that one then take your pick

Thanks

Comment

• thanks man.

Comment

• just uploading Blender to UDK Character videos

Comment

• I should reply giving some progress as some kind of thanks.

Tank is in UDK with animtree and animations mainly thanks to your tuts Geodav.
                        (same tank as UTk4, couple of pages back in this thread) But now has 3 seats: driver seat(has no gun); cannon seat; mg seat - with bulletstrap, hammer animations working.

Some problems - particle systems, arghhhh - but apart from them: right track doesn't turn; no suspension; no main turret bang. 2nd mg fixed to cannon turret, tried, dunno how to get that working. And, AnimTree > TurretPitch > Adjustments > ApplyRotation if ticked (the tick box...), the cannon barrel yaws: slews left....right.... Unticked, cannon barrel has no movement. Also, Reset if Unattended had to be set for all turrets, a little disappointing, but otherwise the turrets don't turn with the tank, that is, when I'm driving. Probably a coding way around that problem... like everything else

BUT, as I said this post is only more or less a thanks. I should add my thanks are not only to Geodav, also others kind enough to participate with helpful posts, not to mention Unreal UDK for a chance to mess with their sophisticated engine! I'm making an entire mod and I'll get back to these issues, and if totally stuck I'll ask for help!

Comment

• ahhh the joys of tank turrets, the amount of heads i've had with them not working, alot depends on which seat and how its rigged, seat(0) doesn't need an extra bone between the base_bone and the yaw bone, any other seats do !!!! please don't ask why no idea, second in the YAW UTSkelControl_TurretConstained/Rotation tick "addrotation" and set the "bone rotation space" to "BCS_ActorSpace)
                          in the Pitch UTSkelControl_TurretConstained/Rotation tick "addrotation" and set the "bone rotation space" to "BCS_OtherBoneSpace) and then name the yaw bone in the "Rotation Space Bone Name"

now for the track either a typo in your code or a messed up material slot !! no suspension could be the lookat's in the animtree not set right or code, audio hard to say could be code or sound file

Comment

• Hey! Appreciate the quick response, your head and mine both :s I'm tempted to get back to it, but wife ordered i take a break. When i lose my cool nothing works. So.... i was looking the character skeleton, but probably no. Basic texturing, importing or probably just mapping - exquivalent for me of basket weaving I'll get back to the tank later when I'm more objective, thanks again Geodav!

Hey! Appreciate the quick response, your head and mine both :s I'm tempted to get back to it, but wife ordered i take a break. When i lose my cool nothing works. So.... i was looking the character skeleton, but probably no. Basic texturing, importing or probably just mapping - exquivalent for me of basket weaving I'll get back to the tank later when I'm more objective, thanks again Geodav!

more Edit: Both tracks working - wasn't sure what you meant by Material Slot but now I am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5KZlQbPDuys

Seems when there's a turret extend from a turret there's a problem with pitch rotations, up/down. If I use the tank turret setup as your example, the cannon gun + turret gun will be rotating to my view when I jump into their seats. ie: the guns themselves slew left or right. The only solution I found was ticking the box: Reset When Unattended on both cannon and mg turret. Not ideal because the result is neither the cannon gun nor the mg move up or down, but their turrets rotate, the anims work, so bang bang ^^ Yep, I tried ticking various boxes in various combos with add rotation off, on, bonespace; pointing to otherbonespace, etc, etc, with various weird results. If you're really curious pm me for a dl link.

I got a wheeled vehicle imported too and sadly, latterly looked at your blue car vid, noticing you mention import with the axles raised, result of my vehicle is the back end droops xd But I did some adjustments and it looks reasonable. VW next which I'm texturing atm and other vehicles as well - didn't intend vehicles, but they will go fine in the mod.

Collision had me confused, (besides other stuff xd). I thought naming per poly collision bones made the collision, but it's the physics asset. I noticed that after I made a box surrounding the entire truck / pinzgauer and I couldn't get the back.

Oh yeah, the cannon sound, still working on that one, lol - also Cascade argggh.

Again, many thanks for your direct and indirect support Geodav!!

in the driver's seat, but I set the socket's out at an angle to view.

Comment

• ok for those who need a little help i've just started a First Person Arms series, this time i'm trying to keep the videos short.
                              using 3ds max for now but will try and do blender later

Comment

• Hi again DAV!

I hope you can help me, yet again!

The spare bone from the main bone (I re-read your post, other posts, most of Google until finally, duh, ic the spare bone). So it goes, Chassis > Spare bone > turret1. From turret1, to turret2 is another spare bone needed?

Hmm...nvm, I'll put one in anyways and reply here with the result.

Could not get the SoundCue working - tried the cue with different sound, also nothing. I deleted the Cue, did another and all's good.

First person arms tut would be good. AnimTrees, despite Wraiyth's tuts are like mazes without satnavs.

Comment

Working...
                                X