This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bchaps View Post
    I have about 8k polys and 11k triangles (I'm still working with the mapping on 1 of the parts though)

The pistol grip part I'm working on (very detailed) has:
    6,792 polys and triangles right now
    5,466 verts right now.
    I'm certainly no expert on making weapons for UDK but from the sounds of it I'd say you need to seriously lower your poly/tri count. Keep in mind that the majority of fine detail comes from baking normal maps onto a low-poly mesh, so there's no need to have insane amounts of tris as long as the base shape/silhouette are looking good.

If I were you I'd take time checking through UDK to see the sort of poly-count Epic have making their weapons/vehicles/characters, then use that as something of a guideline. At the moment I'd say 11k tris is way too high, that's more than an entire character or vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteHyena View Post
      I'm certainly no expert on making weapons for UDK but from the sounds of it I'd say you need to seriously lower your poly/tri count. Keep in mind that the majority of fine detail comes from baking normal maps onto a low-poly mesh, so there's no need to have insane amounts of tris as long as the base shape/silhouette are looking good.

If I were you I'd take time checking through UDK to see the sort of poly-count Epic have making their weapons/vehicles/characters, then use that as something of a guideline. At the moment I'd say 11k tris is way too high, that's more than an entire character or vehicle.
      Ya, good point.
      I'll check out the stuff in UDK to see what they have.

Thanks

Comment

Hi geodav
        thanks for the tuts. I downloaded some of them but had problem with downloading the others. It redirects to another website. Just wondered if your tuts are free or what?

I want to design a simple boat driving game. I think your vehicle tuts could help ...

Comment

all my videos are free, i have heard people get a little confused when downloading from fileplanet but you don't have to register or pay for the download/content. i you get asked to pay for any of my content please pm me the link and i'll have a word with them

Comment

boat thing

Thanx geodav. It's working now.
            I have a question. I want to design a simple boat driving game.
            I know a little c++ coding but new to unrealScript. The main issue I'm struggling with is that I want to change the main character to a boat instead of the default shooter. is it hard to approach or what? If it not that simple I follow the regular vehicle approach for my boat.
            What do you suggest?

P.S: Haven't watched your vehicle tuts yet, still downloading ....

Comment

itz's been done before, look at the racing games on this forum, once you've watch the video's you'll notice that coding is not my strong point

Comment

Hey geodav,

First off, thanks so much for the tutorials, they have helped loads!!!

Only problem i've run into is on the custom character ones,
                im getting the warning
                Code:
                Warning/Error Summary
                ---------------------
                C:\UDK\UDK-2010-11\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\UTCharInfo.uc(81) : Warning, ClassProperty UTGame.UTCharInfo:Families.Families: unresolved reference to 'class'Glitch.UTFamilyInfo_GlitchFamily_Male')'
                C:\UDK\UDK-2010-11\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\UTCharInfo.uc(81) : Warning, Unable to parse parameter value 'class'Glitch.UTFamilyInfo_GlitchFamily_Male')' in defaultproperties array operation:     Families.Add(class'Glitch.UTFamilyInfo_GlitchFamily_Male')

Do you know what exactly this is referencing? I have checked the spelling and it's all correct, I did have it working properly, then suddenly it stopped and i have no idea why,

Any help would be greatly appreciated =]

Thanks

Dodge

Comment

Hi Dodge, your problem is that your family files need to be in the utgame/classes folder, not in the Glitch/classes folder

Comment

Ah brill!

Thanks man =D

Do you know of a way to get these to be referenced from my Glitch/classes folder so I can keep them all in one place?
                    Or would that mean making a copy of UTCharInfo etc,?

Comment

trust me if i could do that i would have said how, without re_doing nearly all the UTgame code imposible, that afaik others may know better, i'm just a hobbist no pro

Comment

Haha, fair enough =]

Well, either way, you've help loads! and helped our group/class in their 2nd year projects at Uni!

Comment

hey
                          need some advice for my boat. need to simulate the boat floating in water while driving and react to sea waves. I thought It would work like the hovercraft thing + tweaking the boat physical material. I am I On the right track or what?

Comment

Ok after much fighting with the code (finally zero errors or warnings!) I've got a new problem with my Tiger tank. The factory shows up (along with the model) when placed in the map, all looks fine.. the problem is that when you run the map, the vehicle isn't anywhere to be seen Not even a warning that 'You're in the way of a vehicle spawning'.

Aside that the other issue I'm a bit worried about is the physics asset- done the box for the base bone and it seems to work fine (was following GeoDav's tutorial again) but the box for the turret dosen't seem to be working right. When you run the preview only the box itself will actually have physics applied, the turret that it should be linked to just remains in place, not really sure what's happened there.

edit: Only warnings I actually get after fully loading the map are;
                            Map should have KillZ set.
                            Nav UTVehicleFactory_TigerTank_1 has an invalid GUID. You may need to rebuild paths.

Comment

@ehsan_nekooee, i think so but i've never tried to do a bout so i'm not sure

@WhiteHyena, not sure with the physics asset i wold have to see a video to compare
                              for the GUID error do a full re-build of your map, save and try again, (thats what google says)

Comment

Originally posted by ehsan_nekooee View Post
                                Thanx geodav. It's working now.
                                I have a question. I want to design a simple boat driving game.
                                I know a little c++ coding but new to unrealScript. The main issue I'm struggling with is that I want to change the main character to a boat instead of the default shooter. is it hard to approach or what? If it not that simple I follow the regular vehicle approach for my boat.
                                What do you suggest?

P.S: Haven't watched your vehicle tuts yet, still downloading ....
                                http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Chara...icalGuide.html
                                Start there

Comment

Working...
                                X