X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaleform UE4

Hello

I'm trying to learn how to make Menus and HUD with UNREAL ENGINE 4$

But how ? I can't find any resource that are up to date for UE4.

This is not a very big HUD and menu, just a "Play - Options - Credits" (In Options you can choose difficulty level, binds and graphical features if possible) and in the HUD, just some texts, icons and flashlight status (done with Adobe Flash Animations i suppose)

But i want to this HUD to move like in borderlands 2, you see, with the player movements,..

Do you have any tutorials for that and AS3 ?

THANKS

I Really need help for this, i don't see any tutorials up for UE4

Comment

UE4 doesn't have Scaleform integrated atm. If you go to the programming section of the UE4 forums ( these are the UE3 forums, btw ), you'll see many people are asking the same thing as you. Therefore its impossible to find resources for something that doesn't exist yet.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/foru...ay-Programming

Scaleform is integrated into many engines, meaning that it is not really dependent on Unreal. It is like Photoshop - if you know one version of it, you'll pretty much know how to use newer releases.
      Borderlands 2 was made in UE3, which means you could build your Hud NOW with UDK and transfer it over if they ever integrate it into UE4. So if you really want to make your HUD with Scaleform, there is nothing stopping you from making it.

https://forums.epicgames.com/threads...leform-amp-UDK

There are a ton of tutorials (sticky'd) at the top of this sub-forum, Those can help you build much more complicated Huds than what you are describing, so you should be covered there. Tear open the inventory and main menu examples that come with UDK and reverse engineer them. They are sufficiently complex enough to teach you the program in-&-out.

If you go to the Autodesk Gameware website and read the logs on the recent updates to Scaleform, you'll notice not much has changed with it. Performance has been improved and new code has been added to the API, but these aren't essential things that you need to attain the goal you wish to achieve.

Good luck.

Comment

Sorry, what i want to mean is making a HUD in general ^^
        My HUD wouldn't be very hard, just an animation at the apparition, some "hit marker blood splat" on it (When the user is near the monster, i'll make a fast-breath sound effect plus veins appearing in the screen) and a flashlight statut with icon and a counter ^^
        I Don't think it's hard to make, but i never used UDK before

Comment

Well this is a big problem if you've never used UDK before then. You have one of two options:

1). Pay someone to do this for you. This method won't require you to worry about any of the technical aspects of the Hud, but I'll be nearly impossible for you to edit later down the line if you want changes made to it ( which happens VERY OFTEN during gamedev ). If you want to find someone to do this for you, post your request here: https://forums.epicgames.com/forums/...ing-for-Talent

2). Start learning how to do this, immediately. UDK and Scaleform are very well documented at this point, so um-willingness to work hard would be the only thing stopping you from taking this route. Will it be difficult to learn UDK and Scaleform? Of course. Making any aspect of a game is difficult. But the long-term reward will be phenomenal, as you will have complete control over the creative and technical decisions of your game. You can get things working exactly how you want them to be, with virtually zero compromises.

If you get other people to do the work for you, you'll be limited by their understanding of your explanations and your ability to get your idea across. That said, I recommend you learn how to do this. All the tutorials you need for Scaleform are on this thread. Any tutorial you need for UDK is on Youtube. Time and your willingness to work, are your only barriers to success .

One more thing: there isn't a single tutorial out there on the net ( most likely ) that will show you how to make a Hud in the exact manner you want it. So don't go looking for it. Instead, do any basic tutorial that you can find and just be open to the experience of learning from it. After enough tutorials, you'll eventually be comfortable enough with the program to be able to do ANYTHING you wish, as you'll understand the principals behind the construction of content.

Again, good luck.

Comment

And with Slate ? ^^

Comment

I have no idea how Slate works, as I haven't gone over to UE4 yet. From what I've read on it, it just sounds like a editor-programmer oriented system, vs being a UI solution that's artist friendly like Scaleform. I highly doubt people will be using it for in-game UI a year from now ( once UE4 is more stable for the mainstream audience ), so I wouldn't personally recommend diving too deep into it.

Until UE4 comes out with its definitive in-game UI solution, stick to Scaleform or canvas drawing. Multiple studios currently use Scaleform, so that's probably your best bet if you want your acquired skills to transfer over in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X