Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Developing a Main Menu with Flash using Action Script 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing a Main Menu with Flash using Action Script 3?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not very familiar with code or scripting. My knowledge of Action Script extends to copying what others show me.

Having said that, is there any tutorials on how to create a simple Main Menu using Flash with Action Script 3? I'm trying to make a Main Menu to use in Kismet as a start screen for a school project. Everything I've seen uses Action Script 2, which flash does not support anymore. The tutorials are nice, but outdated by a few years. I've followed both the Scaleform tutorials on YouTube as well as Vox House, but they're 3-4 years old and only work with AS2. Any help at all?

The difference in workflow between AS2 and AS3 isn't THAT big. Obviously it will requite certain level of dedication and willingness to learn on your part, but the principles (of menu creation) largely stay the same, so adapting tutorials to AS3 shouldn't be a problem. It is paramount your coding skills grow, however. One can only get so far with tutorials.
    Have you watched this series by Matthew Doyle ? Part 6 deals with menus. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSbr7uc-JyM

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I guess everything I heard was that AS3 was quite a bit different than AS2. I've watched the videos, but perhaps I need to put on my thinking cap and try a little harder. My forte is modeling, and engine integration and scripting is sort of a distant second of importance to my career path at this point in time.

I can import the swf into UDK with AS3 and even get the cursor to move and click on my start button, but the Action Script associated with the start button does not call the console command to load my map. That's where I'm stuck trying to decipher how to get it to work. I'm guessing that is where my lack of knowledge on Action Script is hindering me at the moment.

Comment

You are:
        1, using the deprecated fscommand
        2, did not properly set up your MouseEvent.CLICK event handler

Comment

Working...
        X