Action Script Key Capture bugged out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Action Script Key Capture bugged out

Im in need of some help fixing some bugs in action Script. Please look through the following code which I have commented throughout to understand the nature of my problem...If anyone can point me in the right direction to resolve this issue I would be very grateful. Please be aware that I have very little experience with actionscript and I have spent a few days piecing the following together:

Code:
    import flash.external.ExternalInterface;

var textvalue:String = "";

//set the player name in unrealscript then save to config then use that to find save file and load that from unrealscript
    function SetPlayerName(){

ExternalInterface.call("SetPlayerName", textvalue );
    	LoadSaveFromFile();

}

//function to call the loadgame function in unrealscript using the player name string
    function LoadSaveFromFile()
    {

ExternalInterface.call("LoadGame");

}

//capture user input for the login
    //this function is buggy code which will not clear correctly with backspace and will 
    //not re-initialize if player hits cancel and then comes back. 
    // For each iteration of canceling and returning to this screen the output is doubled ...i.e., I press "TOM"  it will output "TTOOMM" the third time it will output "TTTOOOMMM" and so forth
    //Backspace is also captured in the output indicated by < in the string I send to unrealscript.  
    //These problems Make this login a very tedious affair since any mistakes will require the user to restart the game

var keyListener:Object = new Object();
    Key.addListener(keyListener);

keyListener.onKeyDown = function()
    {

textvalue = textvalue + chr(Key.getCode());

}

//Return to main menu, attempts to reset all relevant variables but is not working correctly.
    function CancelToMainMenu()
    {
    	textvalue = "";
    	keyListener = undefined;
    	gotoAndPlay("mainMenu");
    }

okBtn.addEventListener("click", this, "SetPlayerName");
    cancelBtn.addEventListener("click", this, "CancelToMainMenu");

cancelBtn.focused = true;

stop();
Working...
X