Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Source Flash Program

Hello,

I was wondering if there is an open source flash program available that can be used with scaleform. If there is can anyone give me a recommendation on which one is most usable with UDK and direction towards a tutorial to set it up? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jimmy

EDIT: This seems to be a common question on this forum. I am going to try FlashDevelop, but if you have any experience with it I would love to hear about it. Thank you.

I guess my last post didn't come through for some reason. Trying again.

There is a thread on this forum about using Vectorian Giotto and FlashDevelop that worked for older versions, but Giotto has some issues with ActioScript 3 documents (as in, it doesn't technically support them). I worked around this by only making basic tweens in Giotto and then adding all the controls in FD. There is also an issue with shape discoloration and not being able to access textfields created by Giotto in FD that can be worked around by creating any basic shapes and textfields in FD and only using Giotto for images.

It works well, I had main and pause menus as well as a hud set up in previous versions that I'm currently rewriting for the new version in ActionScript 3.

Due to the lack of posts on these two tools in the last few months, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one still using them...

Edit: I forgot to mention that the red borders that appear around PNGs in files exported by Giotto due to alpha channels acting weird with its image compression can be fixed by importing them to UDK as TGAs.

Comment

Originally posted by isathar View Post
      Edit: I forgot to mention that the red borders that appear around PNGs in files exported by Giotto due to alpha channels acting weird with its image compression can be fixed by importing them to UDK as TGAs.
      Wait so once everything is set up would I have to convert the png's to TGAs before importing the SWF to UDK? Also what's to stop it from asking for png's and not TGA's?

Thanks for the help XD

Comment

Hmm, now that I think of it UDK holds textures as Texture2D or Texture3D files, so I'm guessing u mean delete the png's it exports with the SWF, then export their TGA equivalent as their replacements

Comment

I realized a while ago you don't actually have to convert them to tga (just needed to resave the image for it to import correctly), and if everything is working there is no need to reimport at all.

If you get the issue with areas with alpha being red, just find the images in the content browser that were imported along with the swf and reimport them from the base pngs you used to create the swf file. Also, make sure the base pngs are saved as uncompressed (or compression level 0 if using Gimp).

Comment

So I got it to work, my only issue is that we can't pack the textures while using this technique. Does anyone know how to replace individual textures from a packed set

Comment

Using FlashDevelop, you can manually embed textures into a SWF. Look into [embed].
              You can then use the Scaleform gfxexport that comes with UDK to pack textures that are embedded in a SWF file into a texture sheet with something like:

C:\UDK\UDK-2012-07\Binaries\GFx\gfxexport.exe -pack somefile.swf

For more specifics on using gfxexport.exe, just run it without parameters to see all the options

Comment

Working...
              X