GFX mini games sharing and development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GFX mini games sharing and development

Here is a simple thought I had, and granted I see possible negatives, but I can't help but hope that others are as optimistic as me. I hate having to reinvent the wheel to achieve something that has been done before, so I love the idea of sharing work on the basis no one will turn a profit on it. I personally want to create basic point and click puzzle mini games, and I am sure there are plenty who would like them as well. The mini games in "Mass Effect 2" are the best examples of what I would like to be able to do. Instead of doing all the work myself, and keeping them to myself; I believe it would be in my, and others best interest to form a small temp team to develop small self contained GFX mini games for free use in hobby, student, and free projects. I am posting this for feedback as to if this is a good idea, and what sort of support could I expect. I am not much of an artist, but I know uscript and action script. This would require people with knowledge in programming, 2d art, and flash.

I think that's a great idea. How much support will you get? I'm not optimistic there, but still a great idea none the less.

Comment

I never played Mass Effect 2, but is this something along the lines of Oblivion's or Skyrim's lockpicking mini-game? ie. a mini-game that serves to do a gameplay-related function? if that's the case it sounds as good an idea as sharing regular unrealscript code: a great community idea, but with everyone hoping to create a commercial game it'd be hard to get any shares :/

Comment

I am down to help out. I think a good place to start is a set of games that sit in the genre we want.

Are you thinking Snake like time savers?

I think the best option would be a plugin type system, where the games could be chosen from a list and loaded as the developers see fit, or at least a few boolean flags to toggle certain ones off, to allow customized games that would be able to be similar to the overarching game (if the developers choose).

Comment

There many ways to go with it, so the question is what can most people use. Making each one there own package and corresponding scripts would allow developers to choose which ones they want to use, and allow them to be quickly implemented by kismet and added to any game. I am doing this as a hobby, so I would definitely like to see more sharing of resources

The mini games would be much like that of Skyrim/fallout/oblivion, in that they are meant to provide an alternate challenge to do something or achieve something.

I used Mass Effect 2 as those mini games were to hack computers or bypass door locks. I happen to be making a futuristic sort of game so anything that looks like breaking into a computer/information system would be beneficial to me. Copying the Fallout/Skyrim lock picking system would be cool, but still stealing their idea.

If anyone has any ideas of mini games that would be easy, and generally usable by not just one project, then please share, because maybe myself or someone else wants to do something similar, and they can mutually help.

Comment

Working...
          X