Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For ScaleForm GFX,you can use any program that can export SWF's ? What do you mean ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For ScaleForm GFX,you can use any program that can export SWF's ? What do you mean ?

Hey,

About ScaleForm GFX.
    As I understand from these forums,you can use "any" programs that can export SWF files to UDK for ScaleForm GFX right ?
    But what do you mean by "any" program ?
    Is Adobe Flash CS5 not required "per se" to make the ScaleForm GFX for UDK "really" work ?

You can use SoThink SWF Quicker. The only limitation with SWF Quicker is that it is not compatible with the prebuilt CLIK components.

Otherwise, you can create fully functional menus and HUDs using SWF Quicker and UnrealScript.

Comment

So,the CLIK components can only be used with Adobe Flash CS5 ?
      And what are the added benefits of the CLIK components then ?

you can create fully functional menus and HUDs using SWF Quicker and UnrealScript
      So if I take the "SoThink SWF Quicker" route then I "must" use UnrealScript ?
      Why can't I then just import the .swf file created by SWF Quicker into UDK and then it will work ?

Comment

CLIK gives you prebuilt components in Flash, such as buttons, drop downs, scrolling lists, etc. You'll have to build your own versions in Swf Quicker.

Sure, you can import a SWF into Unreal, but you have to be able to do stuff with it that relates to the game. That's where UnrealScript and/or Kismet come in.

Comment

Ok thanks.

But does "Kismet only" already have enough options/commands to use .swf files that I only created with SoThink SWF Quicker,for rendering HUDs (heads up displays) etc,etc,...?
          And I say "Kismet only",because I do not want to touch UnrealScript.

Comment

Not really, but the UnrealScript for a HUD is not all that bad. And there are lots of tutorials and guides to help you. Just check the Getting Started with GFx post.

Comment

I'd like to dig the topic out again.

I have never done anything in Flash before and just got the SWF Quicker to test if it's able to create stuff for the UDK.

But with the missing CLIK components, can you elaborate a bit on the concept of creating your own stuff that can interact with UnrealScript?

As I said, I have never worked with Actionscript before (but a lot with UnrealScript) and would like to understand how it works.
              Are those CLIK components in Flash nothing but Actionscript code or what are they (and if they are, would it be hard to port the source code to be compatible with Sothink)?
              And is there already some native handling code in UnrealScript that is exclusively designed for the CLIK stuff or has UnrealScript no special implementation and our only burden would to write our own stuff in AS and the UDK would use it just as fine as the CLIK?

Comment

Each component has two files to it - a SWF/LA, which contains all the graphics, and an ActionScript class.

Plus, there are core AS classes for CLIK that all the components make use of, or inherit from.

The issue is that SoThink can't open FLA files, which you need to be able to do in order to see how the components are built. Also, SoThink does not have a component inspector.

Someone could port CLIK to SoThink's native format if they were willing to take the time. But it would take some time.

As for the UDK side of things, technically, you can do everything without using CLIK. There is functionality that allows for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Doyle View Post
                  As for the UDK side of things, technically, you can do everything without using CLIK. There is functionality that allows for it.
                  Ok, but does it still pay out to use Flash in your development without the CLIK? If everything can (and has to) be done in UnrealScript, what features does Flash offer me then?

Weighing out if it's viable to bother with non-CLIK Movies at all in the HUD when working with the Canvas…

Comment

Flash provides you with an intuitive content creation tool for one, and a scripting language that is powerful enough to create full games with. Our player is hardware accelerated, rendering out all Flash content as 3D tessellated triangles.

Not having access to CLIK doesn't limit you per se, it just means you have to create your own custom things in Flash, such as buttons, etc. CLIK is ultimately just a collection of pre-built UI widgets.

Comment

Working...
                    X