fscommand should not be used for production......error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Matt if you could please help shed some light on why i cant get the external interface to call my function in uscript id be so grateful.when i use the scaleform launcher in flash i see it log callback myunrealscriptfunction but in my GFxMoviePlayer class in udk it never calls the myunrealscriptfunction! everything else works perfect i just cant for the life of me get it to fire my function. thanks in advance

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It also seems possible to use "GFX get variable" to replace fscommands entirely.

By creating a loop that periodically checks the value of a variable in flash, kismet can respond to an event in flash which changes that variable.

Combined with a switch statement it can then respond to multiple events.

For use when the "fscommands are only for prototyping" errors are bugging you and you don't want to write any unreal script.

Just make sure that the flash movie is still loaded when you check the variable, otherwise UDK completely crashes.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Sorry. I was out of the office yesterday. Yes, Remote event does not take parameters. You'll have to figure something else out if you want to send parameters. Some things you could do:

A. Create your own kismet remote event sequence that DOES accept parameters - this is beyond the scope of Scaleform UI though.
    B. Store the parameters in variables in Flash/AS, then get those variables with the Kismet node: GFx GetVariable. Using that, you put the fully qualified path to the variable in Flash/AS in the Variable field, and then you connect the Result to whatever variable type it is (string, int, bool, etc.).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Matt again:
    I didn't get an answer from my last request above so I tried an approach that WORKS but seems to me too long:
    code in MyGFxMoviePlayer.uc:

//function to receive External Interface call
    function MyUnrealScriptFunction(int n)
    {

switch(n)
    {
    case 0:
    TriggerRemoteKismetEvent('MyEvent0');
    break;
    case 1:
    TriggerRemoteKismetEvent('MyEvent1');
    break;
    case 2:
    TriggerRemoteKismetEvent('MyEvent2');
    break;
    ........ etc for all numbers
    It's a pity that the RemoteEvent in Kismet cannot take any parameters otherwise it would be easy and much shorter.
    Comments?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by taz1004 View Post
    I'm actually wondering why. Why shouldn't fscommand used for production? What would happen if it's used for production?
    i tried using it in production and my neighbours cat exploded!
    no not really
    does seem strange that fscommand exists (and works fine) but gives an error (that isnt really a propper error).

any clues?
    or nobody knows why?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Matt, I tried the fscommand substitute scripts you mentioned above and it works (what else?)
    In Flash I am having 10 buttons in a switch case and each has
    ExternalInterface.call("MyUnrealScriptFunction",1) ;
    ExternalInterface.call("MyUnrealScriptFunction",2) ; etc...
    Now in Kismet I place the RemoteEvent and name it MyEvent .... but how do I pass the second parameter (1,2,etc)
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I'm actually wondering why. Why shouldn't fscommand used for production? What would happen if it's used for production?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there guys,

I was wondering, is there a way to do this same thing, but only in kismet rather than going into code?

I'm trying to achieve a change being activated in scaleform via kismet.
    For example, if a player completes a level, I would like a colour change to be displayed on their map, but, but their map is entirely scaleform and kismet based, no scripts involved.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• replied
    You have to create a new class file. This class file should live in the UDKGame classes folder under Development/Src. Call the class whatever you want. Put the code in there. The class must extend GFxMoviePlayer.

In Kismet, when you use OpenGFxMovie, in the dropdown where you choose GFxMoviePlayer, change it to your new class file.

If you watch video tutorial 6 (creating custom menus) it tells you all the details of this (creating a new class, and setting up Kismet, etc.)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    you need to make a new file and put it in your script package, if you dont have your own yet do a getting started in udk or a simple game tutorial or something.

one question remains though matt doyle please
    why is fscommand not reccomended?
    will it break or what?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Matt Doyle: would you please tell me into which file and which folder do I introduce the Unreal script code you mentioned above? or is it a new file to make?
    I have changed .uc files within UDk (to include a new character in my games) so I would know how to do it I only need where?
    Thank you

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Mr. Doyle, please just let me know where do I place the code in Unreal script that you mention to remedy the fscommand error mentioned above. I can enter code but in which .uc file and which folder? or do I have to create another uc file and then compile.
    I appreciate it because everytime I use this fscommand it shows the error and it becomes irritating

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It is true that there are many revisions from month to month as UDK changes, etc. And, sadly, I can't keep up with new video tutorials very often, especially considering UDK tutorials are not my only responsibilities here at Scaleform. But I'm confident you should still be able to get some good value out of the ones available now - most of which were put together on August & September UDK, using Flash CS4.

A few months down the road, I'm sure we'll revise these tutorials to bring them up to date, and probably continue to revise them every few months or so (if needed).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I advise you to ignore the CLIK videos for now, and focus on reading the UDN Scaleform web pages, and watching the UDK specific video tutorials. They cover most if not all of what you are asking help with.

For instance, if you read the UDN docs, you will see that jpeg is not to be used. You must set all images to PNG/lossless compression in Flash. And the docs, as well as the first UDK video explains how to do that.

Also, you said:

where do I write the code in UnrealScript? which file? in which folder of UDK?
    These questions are answered in the UDK video on creating a custom menu.

So, rather than repeat myself on the forums, I recommend those docs and tutorials. Study them thoroughly and you will be well on your way to understanding how it all works. But, if you don't know how to write code, and don't understand UnrealScript, you're going to need to learn that as well.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes sure !!, I have tried to do that with all of your Video tutorials. The last one "Getting started with CLIK Video tutorial 1 (9 steps) and it is almost impossible to follow BECAUSE OF UDK AND FLASH AND PHOTOSHOP constantly coming out with new versions.
    By following the first 2 Steps of the above tutorial when I run it with Test with FxMediaPlayer in comes out with the following error list
    , Line 1 There is no class or package with the name 'gfx.controls' found in package 'gfx'.
    , Line 1 There is no class or package with the name 'gfx.controls' found in package 'gfx'.
    H:\UDK\UDK-2010-10\Development\Flash\CLIK\gfx\controls\Button.as, Line 442 Type mismatch in assignment statement: found Number where Boolean is required.
    H:\UDK\UDK-2010-10\Development\Flash\CLIK\gfx\controls\Button.as, Line 318 There is no property with the name 'bindingEnabled'.
    H:\UDK\UDK-2010-10\Development\Flash\CLIK\gfx\controls\Button.as, Line 313 There is no property with the name 'bindingEnabled'

plus the DOS window created shows this:
    "jpeg system is not installed.... Load _level10.optionsBtn
    It is discouraging. Thanks for your time anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X