Making menu options edit game values

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making menu options edit game values

I've looked and haven't been able to find a tutorial for actually making menu options actually edit the values they represent. For example, making the change resolution selector actually change the resolution. A graphics quality slider actually change the quality of the graphics. I know how to set up a menu with the appropriate buttons on the interface but i can't actually make them work. Any help would be appreciated.

I remember I saw such a tutorial here or on Youtube somewhere. Maybe look harder?

Comment

Ive figured out how to change the resolution via a console command but i can't seem to figure out how to adjust graphics quality and things like Anti-aliasing. Are those also done via console commands?

also, i cant seem to find the tutorial you mentioned. I must be blind. I've seen some posts about calling unrealscript from actionscript but nothing about changing graphics options.

Comment

Check the documentation for console commands. You'll find how to set the graphics settings from there.

Comment

It was some Youtube video. They even talked about to not change the things directly but to make your selection first and then click either an apply or cancel button.

Comment

Originally posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
            It was some Youtube video. They even talked about to not change the things directly but to make your selection first and then click either an apply or cancel button.
            if you're talking about the videos from scaleform, i watched those. They tell you how to create an object that will store the state of the options but not actually how to change the options in the game. I'll look deeper into console commands but i was just wondering if there was another way that i'm supposed to do it.

Comment

Like most programming tasks, there are a number of ways to set options. The quick and simple way is to fire off console commands from UnrealScript based upon the options the player sets. A more complex, though dynamic, approach would be to have all options dynamically filled in via an ini file. This is the approach our resident UnrealScript guy Nate took. I recommend you look through the code specific to Settings to see how he approached it.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Doyle View Post
                Like most programming tasks, there are a number of ways to set options. The quick and simple way is to fire off console commands from UnrealScript based upon the options the player sets. A more complex, though dynamic, approach would be to have all options dynamically filled in via an ini file. This is the approach our resident UnrealScript guy Nate took. I recommend you look through the code specific to Settings to see how he approached it.
                Thank you. One last question, where would i find the code you mentioned? Is it included in the UDK install? sorry for all the questions, I'm a bit new to UnrealScript.

Comment

You'll find the code in the:

\Development\Src\UTGame\Classes\

directory of your UDK install. You should see a bunch of files that start with GFxUDKFrontEnd_. I encourage you to look at them all, but in this case, focus on the ones dealing with settings (such as GFxUDKFrontEnd_Settings).

Bear in mind that these script files were written by someone with a strong grasp of code and UnrealScript. They aren't exactly beginner level.

Comment

ok, thank you. I have a fair amount of experiance with programming but I'm new to UDK and Unreascript.

Comment

Working...
                    X