Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mastering a Scaleform GFx HUD (5 Part Series)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mastering a Scaleform GFx HUD (5 Part Series)

I'm in the process of creating a HUD tutorial series for UDK. It will cover all parts of the UDK HUD created by Scaleform in the September 2010 UDK build, beginning with the wrapper class, the actual HUD class, elements such as the pause menu, and finally culminating in the mini-map.

These are more intermediate to advanced level tutorials. Most of them will assume you already know how to write UnrealScript and ActionScript, and use the Flash IDE. The tutorials will cover the HUD in brief, explaining the most important concepts, but will not go into great detail on every topic due to time limits.

Please feel free to ask clarifying questions in this thread and I'll endeavor to answer them.

Mastering a GFx HUD
    1. Part 1 - HUD Overview
    2. Part 2 - UTGFxHudWrapper.uc
    3. Part 3 - GFxMinimapHud.uc (Part 1)
    4. Part 4 - GFxMinimapHud.uc (Part 2)
    5. Part 5 - GFxMinimap.uc

Yes! :d :d :d

Comment

awesome!
      thats just what we need
      thanks mr doyle

Comment

I'd like to thank you Mr. Doyle for dedicating your time to help make creation of our UI simple and smooth. I accomplished almost half of what you're going to present, thanks to your high-quality 14-part video tutorials! I'm very interested in the inventory part as I haven't reached to that point yet in our project. I'm very much excited, this will ease my task when the time comes.

Thank you Sir.

Comment

Excellent! Exactly what I (and probably many many others) need.

Thank you for being so active in this community, it is appreciated.

Comment

thank you matt, your tutorials are awesome !!!!

Comment

Thanks Mr. Doyle
              Your video tutorials are great.

Comment

You are the greatest

Comment

While I've gotten most of what I need hacked together, I'd love to see the official way to do it.

The tutorials you've already created have been a godsend, we really do appreciate it.

Comment

Fine, I was almost doing it this way, but maybe it's easier with full Scaleform implementation.

Comment

I also want to thank you for being active in this community.

A programming note: How are you going to make these tutorials? will they be broken down into small eatable bits?

Comment

are you going to have a text version of at least the code?
                        its very difficult and encourages mistakes to try and copy code from a video
                        thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Polaris View Post
                          I also want to thank you for being active in this community.

A programming note: How are you going to make these tutorials? will they be broken down into small eatable bits?
                          I think yes, as that was what he did in all the previous Scaleform tutorials.

Comment

The tutorials will be broken up into small videos, no more than 10 minutes each. I will not be posting code, as all the code is already available in the UDK sample HUD files. The tutorial will essentially cover how the UDK HUD is put together, where it is called/initialized from, and how it is updated.

In preparation for the tutorial videos, I encourage you to look at the following files:

UTGFxHudWrapper.uc
                            GFxMinimapHud.uc
                            GFxMinimap.uc

UT3_HUD.fla
                            UT3_minimap.fla
                            UT3_scoreboard.fla

Comment

This is great. Looking forward learning more about scaleform.
                              Thanks Matt Doyle

Comment

Working...
                              X