Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Playing an actual movie through Scaleform

Hi all,

Is it possible to play an actual movie (like .wma, .avi etc.) via Scaleform?

I basically imported a .flv movie into Flash, exporting it out (the same method as I did with menus such as making a folder with the same name which holds all external files in the movie) and then importing it into UDK.

But when it goes to try playing the Scalform Movie, it doesn't show the movie (but it does show the text which I placed in the flash file).

So is it possible to play a movie via Scaleform and if so, how?

No, Scaleform for UDK does not allow movies.

Comment

Oh, do you know then how I can import a movie and have it play on screen? It's basically a cinematic I want to play when the player triggers an event.

Comment

Use Bink, you can download the encoder for free from http://www.radgametools.com

Comment

Yeah I got the encoder already thanks.

I actually did some search and found a thread about using .bik. However, I can't seem to get the video working. The method I read was using UIScene and referencing the imported video file as the Widget Image REF.

But when I import the video file, it doesn't show anything (the video file has a starting image basically) and when triggered, the video doesn't play.

Are there any requirements as to how to prepare the video file for import?

One thing my friend suggested was that it had to be square (i.e. 512x512 or in powers of 2) which allowed me to import. But yeah, I can't seem to get the video playing.

Comment

Just FYI - Scaleform does have a separate video product that can be purchased as an add-on, which allows for the playing of video files via Flash - Scaleform Video

Its a very easy to use addon, allowing drag and drop functionality and playback/scale/rotation/translation control of videos inside a Flash file. It is not however available to the general public, nor does it come bundled in with UDK. And there is not a UDK integration, only UE3.

Comment

*necropost*
              Where can I read up on the licensing terms and pricing? The Autodesk Gameware site is quite confusing in that respect. Also, would the addon be compatible with UDK in terms of rendering?
              Could be an interesting solution, since the bink video playback causes continuous problems for us ranging from random crashes to not playing videos at all.

Comment

You would need UE3 to add that.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth.Hunter View Post
                  *necropost*
                  Where can I read up on the licensing terms and pricing? The Autodesk Gameware site is quite confusing in that respect. Also, would the addon be compatible with UDK in terms of rendering?
                  Could be an interesting solution, since the bink video playback causes continuous problems for us ranging from random crashes to not playing videos at all.
                  It'd be nice if you could give details about your crashes too (probably in a separate thread in Programming or something) so that someone from Epic could look at it (if it is a problem on their side)

Comment

Look for the set external texture tutorial by Matthew Doyle (YouTube
                    Udk rear view mirror). Just replace the rtt with
                    Your .bik movie.

Comment

Working...
                    X