Scaleform HUD Tutorial Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scaleform HUD Tutorial Series

I think this is the first Scaleform GFx Tutorial. I hope that it is useful to you all, and that it gives you a starting point.

I took me quite a while to work out how to get it all working, so please appreciate the effort I put into it.

Anyway, here's the link:
    http://noexp.wordpress.com/scaleform-hud-tutorial/

Go ahead and leave comments or questions here or on that page.

Awesome awesome awesome thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, I'll finish uploading the rest of the vids after I've eaten...

Comment

Thanks, this is awesome

Since UIScene is going away to be replaced by Scaleform, how should mouse cursors be implemented now? As part of the Flash movie now I guess?

Comment

thanks for the uploads. should help me when i finally come to sort my hud out. are the tutorials going to cover menus as well or is a similar style of coding used as the hud?

Comment

Many thanks for this.

Comment

Well that was quick, well done!

Comment

looking good so far, can#t wait for the rest

Comment

Originally posted by mothphil View Post
                  thanks for the uploads. should help me when i finally come to sort my hud out. are the tutorials going to cover menus as well or is a similar style of coding used as the hud?
                  In this series, no. They basically involve sending ActionScript calls back to UScript.

I may cover this in a future video set.

EDIT: No. 5 now online.

Comment

thank you for the tutorial i will look the tutorial this weekend, thank you again.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitese View Post
                      Thanks, this is awesome

Since UIScene is going away to be replaced by Scaleform, how should mouse cursors be implemented now? As part of the Flash movie now I guess?
                      Thanks.

Yes, the mouse cursor functionality should be implemented in Flash (as if you were creating a normal .swf) except that you will have to call:
                      Code:
                      YourGFxMovieName.SetFocus(true, true);
                      to make the cursor appear and stop the player camera from moving. You can go back by either setting:
                      Code:
                      YourGFxMovieName.SetFocus(false, false);
                      or by closing the MoviePlayer.

Also, you should add interface functionality using Invoke (UScript to Flash) and ExternalInterface (Flash to UScript) as explained on the UDN Scaleform page.

As an aside, you can download the original .fla and .swf files that Epic used to create the new GFx HUD (and more besides) at the bottom of that page.

Number 6 (Flash Objects) now Online

Comment

The quality of the videos is really bad .

Comment

Yeah, sorry about that. Youtube has strange limits that I can't get to work with my videos.

I will try and get a zip/rar of the videos and script files uploaded somewhere.
                          If anybody has a hosting site they are prepared to put it on, feel free to PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitese View Post
                            Thanks, this is awesome

its so simple mate you will laugh.

create a new layer in flash above everything else.
                            create a new movieclip symbol in your library
                            create your cursor graphic with animations if you wish
                            add an instance to the stage of your cursor clip
                            in flash when you want the cursor to appear add this to the actionscript :
                            PHP Code:
                            startDrag(_root.my_cursor,true); 

Comment

Originally posted by Grosie View Post

Also, you should add interface functionality using Invoke (UScript to Flash) and ExternalInterface (Flash to UScript) as explained on the UDN Scaleform page.
                              You aint wrong there but I need to point out that using Invoke isnt the best method as described in the scaleform documentation. It should really only be used when you dont know what type of object is being returned from Flash, if any.

Creating a wrapper function to use ActionScriptVoid or the other types is advised and makes sense. Especially with HUD work that is live in game. It may not be apparent yet but there are times flash can sink a top end PC so any overheads saved may be essential.

Comment

Working...
                              X