Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

free flash editors for scaleform?

hello
    i have been waiting for scaleform since they first mentioned it, and now its here yay! and it looks good, cant wait to get into it.
    i havnt played around with as2 for ages and dont have the software for it anymore.
    so im wondering if there is a free editor that can be used with scaleform?
    or do i have to use flash cs4?

If there is I'm doubtful it ill be supported. I was looking forward to scaleform until I realized I would have to install it into flash as an extension, rather than just running my stuff through a converter.

My school has flash capable of working with scaleform, however they would NEVER install scaleform because its not really for education purposes. Making this doubly annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by Fr0z3nB0nes View Post
      If there is I'm doubtful it ill be supported. I was looking forward to scaleform until I realized I would have to install it into flash as an extension, rather than just running my stuff through a converter.

My school has flash capable of working with scaleform, however they would NEVER install scaleform because its not really for education purposes. Making this doubly annoying.
      You can always say it will help you succeed in the future.

Btw, I'm pretty sure there is no "free" editor. Although Adobe have packages that are cheaper for students.

Comment

I'll be disappointed if there is no such thing, because it's too expensive otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by CreativeCoding View Post
          You can always say it will help you succeed in the future.

Btw, I'm pretty sure there is no "free" editor. Although Adobe have packages that are cheaper for students.
          in addition I doubt that any other editor is able to get scaleform.
          Although scaleform is somehow just a extension for adobe flash.
          Always consider. It's a AAA engine and why not use AAA software?
          and Adobe is the flagship with their products.

and like creativecoding said(sounds a little bit weird. ) adobe offers cheaper prices for students. As example I bought myself the creative suite 3 design sometime ago.
          You know $449 bucks for NOW Photoshop, Flash Professionell, Dreamweaver and some other cool stuff + support are not that much.. if you consider that you waste more for a new computer.

Computer is a workstation but the software is a part of it too... but this is just my thinking. I got it because I used photoshop now for around 8years(well you have to start things and like them before you buy them. ) or even longer.. and stuff like dreamweaver is awesome for adding a mod to the phpbb board.

just some thoughts + experience with that.
          here is a direct link to the student thing:
          http://www.adobe.com/education/students/

I'm not saying you should instantly buy that stuff.. why not leave flashdesign to the people who always wanted to be webdesigner or flashdeveloper and recruit them?
          Where is a HUUUGE flash dev community out where and I doubt where are so many that would disagree with getting with their skills into a cool 3d project.

Comment

Wow, what did I say when they announced the **** thing?
            I remember it was something about how UE3 already has UScript and Kismet as perfectly great scripting languages. And hey, materials can do this BumpOffset thingy to create the illusion of depth when looking at surfaces from an angle. And if that's not enough, Matinee can move InterpActors, which could be as simple as rectangular sheets with materials made up entirely from ScriptedTextures.
            Hey, is there actually any part of Scaleform that couldn't be emulated with means already available in the UT3-version of the UE3? Oh right, the creation of the entire interface. Wait, that can't be done with the UDK either...

Comment

i am a web designer and used to be a flash developer so i was looking forward to scaleform
              i had ideas of mini games and stuff
              oh well, guess ill have to find a way of getting cs4 maybe
              u sure there isnt a hacky way of using another editor, if you stay within the language guidelines?
              its just using .as and .fla files as far as i can see or are they saved in some special format or something?

Comment

lol you people and your no money ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                  Well I only really much around in the udk and I'm not gonna buy software (even student editions) just for mucking around.

Wormbo are you suggesting we use mantinee and materials to emulate an entire hud? I know nothing about how performance works in thsi game but even that sounds pretty taxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Fr0z3nB0nes View Post
                    Well I only really much around in the udk and I'm not gonna buy software (even student editions) just for mucking around.

Wormbo are you suggesting we use mantinee and materials to emulate an entire hud? I know nothing about how performance works in thsi game but even that sounds pretty taxing.

I don't count it as mucking around....

I count it as mucking around while getting payed.

Comment

Originally posted by Hboybowen View Post
                      Yes, because students get paid to go to school. That's right.

Comment

Originally posted by rednaz View Post
                        Yes, because students get paid to go to school. That's right.
                        Yeah, I get $5000/month.

Comment

for anyone looking to at least try out scaleform, CS5 just went up a while ago and there is a free trial for the various programs with adobe. it's not a perfect solution, so I recommend waiting until your actually ready to create your UI before trying it out. It's too bad adobe doesn't give trial versions to students like autodesk does, but hopefully if they see enough demand in this area they'll start thinking about it.

Comment

Mikel, I noticed in the docs it said CS4, does it work with CS5?

Comment

Originally posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz View Post
                              Mikel, I noticed in the docs it said CS4, does it work with CS5?
                              probably.

But CS5 is more for the pros. I suggest, if you can, to get CS4. In fact, anything with Actionscript 2.0 will work...

Comment

Working...
                              X