Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scaleform UI to be included with UDK! (UPDATED)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KY2K View Post
    I just find it funny that Epic released the UDK for free after Unity went free with an Indie license, and now your either having to pay out money again or take an not so great route
    Yes, because Epic will now make money off of people buying Adobe Flash, those evil, dastardly folks at Epic! Clearly a bait and switch scam meant to drain us of money and line the pockets of Epic employees! [/sarcasm]

You now have the ability to create truly modern/professional interfaces that no indie dev in their right mind should typically be able to without putting down some SERIOUS dough. But by all means, go use that *other* engine in all it's freeness (and not so free editions). P.S. there are free flash alternatives out there, go use google and/or look at the thread in this very forum on the subject.

Comment

Can I create these Flash menus without a WYSIWYG (Adobe Flash Editor?)? Can pure programming (ActionScript?) be used like Unrealscript is right now?

Comment

well game development is free if you do all the work yo still have to pay someone...there is always a middleman in any industry

Comment

Pretty hard to find programs which work to create a pipeline if you donĀ“t know what you need^^

So: SWF files are the graphical assets which we need (pictures). Any interaction is controlled through actionscript. Actionscript is called from unrealscript. So we need a Actionscript Editor(FlashDevelop for Example) and something which convertes SWF images.
          Is this correct so far ?

Comment

its the way of the world getting something for free then having to pay for the extras and yes elmuerte my mistake i was a little tired when i wrote that comment epic where gunning UDK first but thats not the point.

Anyway its great we have some new gizmo's to play with and im one of the lucky buggers out there to have flash, get on Epic you really are making headway with UDK and im always glad to see the next release.

Now do my XNA account a favour and add xbox 360 support

Comment

Originally posted by musilowski View Post
              Can I create these Flash menus without a WYSIWYG (Adobe Flash Editor?)? Can pure programming (ActionScript?) be used like Unrealscript is right now?
              I'm quite sure you should be able to.

Comment

Originally posted by danimal' View Post
                You now have the ability to create truly modern/professional interfaces that no indie dev in their right mind should typically be able to without putting down some SERIOUS dough. But by all means, go use that *other* engine in all it's freeness (and not so free editions). P.S. there are free flash alternatives out there, go use google and/or look at the thread in this very forum on the subject.
                Very true UDK wipes the floor of many indie engines out there, alot of people use unity on my course and only 2 or 3 of us using UDK which is a **** shame, Before we would only dream of making games looking this good but now we can its awesome yeah it might take awhile to get used to everything but in the long run your going to have way better results and who knows mayby even get noticed.

LONG LIVE UDK!!!

Comment

I have finished the first tutorial video in a planned series about making GUIs with Scaleform. I created a menu system and implemented it as my front end in UDK. In this intro I explain how I accomplished this in just a matter of hours, and explain the overall workflow. Over subsequent vids I will show you how you can get a functional menu up and running in even less time, even under an hour - then I will get into other things like CLIK, etc. Read a full description on the video page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtDko9ujCYM

Comment

Are there currently any plans to include Scaleform Video or Lobby at a later date?

Comment

reasons why text is better than video -- i've spent 30 minutes now trying to figure out what i've done incorrectly in this tutorial, versus 20 spent actually doing it.

Comment

Blade: I understand, but there are advantages to using video as well, you get a much better visual of what I'm doing, some people prefer it, and not to mention it's far easier for me as a lesson publisher to make them visible to an audience (some 750ish subscribers see them on their youtube homepage for instance).

Comment

I am one of those who prefer to videos

Thanks for the Tutorial btw.

Comment

A transcript with links that go directly to specific parts of it would be awesome. Have no idea if Youtube is capable of that or not.

Comment

It is possible yes. I'll take it into consideration!

Comment

or even a summary with clickable links to the major parts, as a transcription would probably take a ridiculous amount of time, i'd guess .. i spent a lot of time tracing backwards until i found where my mis-click in Flash was (i'd accidentally managed to assign the on push to the entire layer rather than the button in the layer.. didn't notice the compilation errors, because i am totally not at all familiar with flash .. that menu button tutorial was the first thing i've -ever- done in flash)

Comment

Working...
                                X